PDA

View Full Version : Hackberry & Hard maple vessel with finial

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-11-2013, 4:58 PM
This vessel is Hackberry with a Hard Maple finial. This is only the second piece I've added a finial to. It's 13 1/4" tall to top of the finial.& 4" dia.
it's finished with white & black acrylic artist paints,India ink,varnish, & satin lacquer.
250770 critiques & comments welome.

Harry Robinette
01-11-2013, 5:23 PM
Joe
You have done good very nice form and finish. The base IMHO might have used a little more rounding to give it a smaller base.But it is beautiful.

Jim Burr
01-11-2013, 5:27 PM
Great job Joe!! Beautiful wood and the add-on's fit well in the overall mix.

jwjerry w kowalski
01-11-2013, 5:31 PM
Joe,

That's outstanding looking, great looking finial and the overall effect is superb.

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2013, 6:58 PM
That is a beauty Joe. Finial and all fit well with the overall look.

Roger Chandler
01-11-2013, 7:18 PM
Purrr-DEEE!!!

Michelle Rich
01-12-2013, 6:10 AM
like the black ring & the location..and the shape to the finial..very nice vessel

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-12-2013, 9:28 AM
Sweet, Joe.
The black in the grain really adds interest to the whole form. Looks good with a finial, like it belongs there.
faust

Dave Fritz
01-12-2013, 9:37 AM
Everything is balanced and easy on the eye. I esp. like the finial. It has a nice graceful flow. I personally tend to leave them a little thick so I admire your work a great deal.

Dave F.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-12-2013, 4:07 PM
Thanks, everyone for taking time to look & comment on my piece. As I said earlier this is only the second time I've added a finial to a piece. I got to say it's more time consuming to make a finial & get a good fit to the piece than I thought it would be. I had fun making the finial but I can see where I should do some practice finials before trying to fit one to a vessel again. I got a really good fit to this one but it sure took me awhile to get it.

Peter Blair
01-12-2013, 4:22 PM
Fantastic Joe.

After seeing this piece I think you have been remiss in not doing more with finials.

I really like everything about it!!

Baxter Smith
01-12-2013, 5:22 PM
Nice work on the finial Joe and I like the ring beneath it. The color contrast makes it quite striking overall!

Kathy Marshall
01-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Beautiful piece Joe! I really like the black in the grain and the contrast between the form and the finial.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-13-2013, 8:15 AM
Thanks again to everyone for taking time to look & comment on this piece.
I have to say I was pleased with how well the Black India ink & Black & white acrylic paints worked together on this piece.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-14-2013, 9:22 AM
Joe
You have done good very nice form and finish. The base IMHO might have used a little more rounding to give it a smaller base.But it is beautiful.
Thanks Harry. I see what you say about the base from this photo. That said it's not as large as it looks in the photo. The bulb looks a little large in the photo too. The largest dia in the bulb is slightly over 3/4". I think it looks much larger than it is in the photo. Photography is a area that I really need to work on, but I'm not really that interested in.