PDA

View Full Version : What to do with 1/8 plywood

Joe Hillmann
01-11-2013, 4:21 PM
I recently bought a bunch of 1/8 inch plywood/ door skins. Four of the sheets were not usable because they appear to have a different type of glue in them so I can not cut them with the laser. I had the sheets cut to size so I doubt I can return them.

I have 16 pieces that are 36"x18" give or take a bit. It looks like a mix of oak, hickory and maple.

So, what fun/useful/sell-able projects can I build with this plywood?

Prashun Patel
01-11-2013, 4:26 PM
Bent laminations?

johnny means
01-11-2013, 5:02 PM
Not to hijack, but, I'm curious as to how the glue used affects laser cutting.

Joe Hillmann
01-11-2013, 5:15 PM
I assume the glue has metal in it.

When I cut the wood that works it cuts through like a hot knife through butter with nice perfectly smooth edges and lots and lots of smoke.

When I try to cut the wood that doesn't work it shoots out a flame about 3 inches long with lots and lots of sparks looking like fireworks and all it does is cut through the veneer on the surface and appears to burn rather than cut away at the layers underneath. After that if I run more then one pass I end up with a charred mess that is maybe cut 1/4 of the way through.

I have also found the when I used to buy plywood from menards wherever they filled a void in the core of the plywood with glue or woodfiller or whatever they used the laser would have a similar effect.