PDA

View Full Version : used jointer question

John Barncord
01-11-2013, 7:14 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is John and I'm new here. This site looks like an awesome place for good intel on woodworking.

Got a question:

I am going to look at a used 8" jointer this evening and was wondering if there are any particular things I should be aware of or concerned about. Aside from the condition of the knives, general appearance, and overall functionability (i.e., play in tables, bearing noise, etc . . . ), what else should I be lookiing for?

This thing is a Lobo brand jointer (8 years old) - which I have never heard of. However, it appears to be a heavy-duty (520lbs) machine and it certainly wont hurt to look!

Thanks
John

Rich Riddle
01-11-2013, 8:41 AM
Lobo is one of the many Chinese companies made with the same castings as Jet, etc. If you are looking at that jointer, look up the JJ-8 Jet jointer and the look should be identical but a different color. It should be at a reasonable cost since you can still get a new knock-off for about $800. I had the Jet and installed a Shelix head and the unit flawlessly worked. You can easily replace bearings, the motor, etc., so it's hard to get hurt with a jointer, but look to ensure it moves smoothly, has a flat surface, and doesn't look like it suffered abuse from the former user.

When you are there, look at the seller's other tools he isn't trying to sell. Does it look like he maintains them properly or uses them hard and rids himself of them when it's over? Talking with the seller will likely give you clues as to his frame of mind regarding how tools should be used and function. If it isn't a good "feeling" about the seller, then walk. It takes a long time to rehab a poorly maintained tool. Have a checklist you want to look at when you go there, and then check it. I will include photographs of my former jet (gray one), and that should be the look of the Lobo. I have both a manual for the Lobo and the Jet on the computer if you want a copy.

As an example of what to look for below are pictures of two different jointer planer's I considered. First two pictures are on the left, second set of pictures are on the right. Guess which one was purchased?

Jim Foster
01-11-2013, 8:51 AM
If you can, take a straight edge, check the tables and fence to see if they are warped or significantly out of flat. If it has a magnetic switch, while it's running pull the plug, then plug it back in to see if it is off or on, should be off.

John Barncord
01-11-2013, 9:23 AM
Holy crap . . . it looks EXACTLY like the jet in your picture! The seller is a woodshop that builds custom spiral staircases, so they have a fully equipped shop - or so I would think. The asking price is $300 and it's been for sale for about a month now.

Good idea on the straight edge and, yes, it does have a mag switch - which I will also test. I have a 36" Starrett ruler that I plan on taking.

The pictures make it look really good. I guess we will see!

Thanks!

Mike Cutler
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
The math in a spiral staircase is pretty exacting, so if they've been using the machine for their work, it's probably good to go.

Take a board that needs to be joined with you,and if possible, face and edge join it. That will tell you a lot about the machine.