PDA

View Full Version : How to tint wax?

Bart Sharp
04-29-2005, 12:25 PM
I would like to make some dark brown tinted wax to add an "aged" look to my letter carvings. I know Briwax comes in a brown, but I'm hesitant to use it on a fresh finish. Plus, I have a whole tub of Minwax that will last a lifetime, I hate to buy another can of wax on top of it.

Is there any way I can tint the clear wax I have? Dye powders, universal tints, etc? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
Bart

Hal Flynt
04-29-2005, 3:20 PM
I have used shoe polish to "create patina" before.

TransTint universal dye should work. I would probably put a small amount of naptha or mineral spirits 1/2 oz or so (whichever seems to dissolve your wax the best) in a glass bottle and add Transtint to that then mix wax into it until you get where you want to go. If too thin, leave uncovered and it will thicken.

I made some "furniture polish" with bees wax this way a couple of years back and it may have been turpentine that held the wax in suspension better. Anyway, my thought is to thin the concentrated dye out to make mixing more uniform.

Jim Becker
04-29-2005, 4:32 PM
What about using a glaze as part of your finishing process? It also makes the "patina" more permanent than you will get with wax.

Bart Sharp
05-01-2005, 10:53 AM
I have used shoe polish to "create patina" before.

TransTint universal dye should work. I would probably put a small amount of naptha or mineral spirits 1/2 oz or so (whichever seems to dissolve your wax the best) in a glass bottle and add Transtint to that then mix wax into it until you get where you want to go. If too thin, leave uncovered and it will thicken.

I made some "furniture polish" with bees wax this way a couple of years back and it may have been turpentine that held the wax in suspension better. Anyway, my thought is to thin the concentrated dye out to make mixing more uniform.

Hal, those are good ideas. What was the procedure for using the shoe polish? Wipe on/wipe off, or is there more to it?

Jim, I've seen various glazing procedures in FWW, that might work too. All my magazines are in storage, could you give me a brief rundown on what's involved? Is the glazing a specific product you buy, or can you just use some kind of an oil based gel stain?

Thanks guys,
Bart

Jim Becker
05-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Bart, glazes are products you can buy in specific colors or you can make your own by tiniting glazing base with dyes. You apply and wipe off...which leaves darker material clinging in the corners, etc., giving an aged look. One dry, you can top-coat further with a clear finish.

Bart Sharp
05-01-2005, 7:55 PM
Bart, glazes are products you can buy in specific colors or you can make your own by tiniting glazing base with dyes. You apply and wipe off...which leaves darker material clinging in the corners, etc., giving an aged look. One dry, you can top-coat further with a clear finish.

Is that something I can get at my friendly neighborhood big box store, or will it be a specialty item somewhere?

Jim Becker
05-01-2005, 7:58 PM
Is that something I can get at my friendly neighborhood big box store, or will it be a specialty item somewhere?

Sometimes you can find glazing stuff at the big boxes, but you might want to let your fingers do the walking in the yellow pages for paint suppliers for better selection.

Scott Esbrook
05-01-2005, 8:09 PM
Is there any way I can tint the clear wax I have? Dye powders, universal tints, etc? Any suggestions appreciated.

Just thinking out loud, it seems to me the biggest challenge would be getting whatever you use to darken the wax distributed consistently. Would the application of heat help? Put it on the stove at Medium, let it liquify, and add something to darken it up?

Bart Sharp
05-02-2005, 9:02 AM
Just thinking out loud, it seems to me the biggest challenge would be getting whatever you use to darken the wax distributed consistently. Would the application of heat help? Put it on the stove at Medium, let it liquify, and add something to darken it up?

I think that's why Hal suggested using a little solvent mixed with the dye, but your idea sounds like a good one too. I'll have to hunt up a hotplate, I don't think doing that on our gas stove would be too good of an idea!

Hal Flynt
05-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Hal, those are good ideas. What was the procedure for using the shoe polish? Wipe on/wipe off, or is there more to it?

Jim, I've seen various glazing procedures in FWW, that might work too. All my magazines are in storage, could you give me a brief rundown on what's involved? Is the glazing a specific product you buy, or can you just use some kind of an oil based gel stain?

Thanks guys,
Bart

I used a tooth brush to get the shoe polish in the cracks and crannies, the would you believe a shoe brish to buf it. Then I touched up areas I felt needed a little more color and wiped thase tha needed a little less. If you rally got too much in an area, clear wax would dilute the color.

To Scott,
The solvent helps distribute the color into the wax and a little heat helps (NO OPEN FLAME HERE). This is one of those that you just decide to do and don't stop till you figure it out. I regularly soften some pure carnuba car wax with naptha and this is where I got the idea.

Brian Jarnell
05-05-2005, 7:09 AM
What about the coloured wax sticks?

Bart Sharp
05-05-2005, 10:09 AM
What about the coloured wax sticks?

I'm not familiar with them. What are they, where do you get them, and how do you use them?

Thanks,
Bart