PDA

View Full Version : Oak burl HF

Dennis Ford
01-10-2013, 9:58 PM
I set up my camera this afternoon, have a few pieces to show.

This piece is 7" dia. X just over 8" tall. I almost waited too long but the wood was not too punky. There was quite a noticeable difference in hardness between the dark area and the lighter (I believe it is called "White Rot"). The dark to light transition goes right through the center at the opening. It has a few small voids; most of which are visible in this picture.

The finish on this piece was a multi-step process:
* Coated the light area with lacquer based sanding sealer to avoid color change.
* Applied thinned tung oil to bring out the color of the dark area.
* After a few days of drying, coated entire piece with lacquer based sanding sealer (2 coats)
* The weather was cool and damp, so I top-coated with WOP instead of lacquer.
* Buffed and waxed

Comments and critiques welcome.

Jerry Marcantel
01-10-2013, 10:07 PM
That's a good looking piece, Dennis. Thanks for sharing. I especially like that shoulder detail. It gives this peice class.... ........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Baxter Smith
01-10-2013, 10:11 PM
That is the nicest looking white rot I have seen. Verry pretty Dennis!

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2013, 10:13 PM
That is a beauty Dennis.

Kathy Marshall
01-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Another beautiful piece Dennis! Very nice form and I like the shoulder detail. That wood looks like it's loaded with character and the finish really fits it.

David DeCristoforo
01-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Really nice piece, this is. The wood speaks for itself and even though I do not favor a "flat" footprint, it works with this form. The raised collar adds interest and suits the form well. The matte finish is perfect for this kind of "rustic" turning. 9.9

Michelle Rich
01-11-2013, 6:16 AM
Could this be any better? I don't think so. Shape, wood, neck/shoulder, this is a wonderment to my eyes. congrats on turning such a lovely vessel.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-11-2013, 7:33 AM
Great use of the sapwood. It gives the piece some real interest. I am interested to know if this was wet burl or if it had aged a period of time.
faust

Greg Ketell
01-11-2013, 11:45 AM
That is beautiful! I personally prefer this finish to the high gloss; I think it lets the viewer see the wood better.

Kelvin Burton
01-11-2013, 2:02 PM
Well Dennis, this answers my question on Facebook! Oak Burl. Very nice indeed. You said you almost waited too long; what were you watching? Mold growth? I'd like to do "controlled" spalting but don't know what I should be looking for?

Dennis Ford
01-11-2013, 8:50 PM
Kelvin, I don't think there is ever truly "Controlled" spalting but I have assisted the natural process several times. I can say that it works better with large pieces as some of the outside will get too punky before the spalting has penetrated the wood. This piece had mushrooms growing from it.

robert baccus
01-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Really classy piece--love the white rot.