PDA

View Full Version : Jointer, planer, and limited shop space. Combo machine??

Jon McElwain
01-10-2013, 7:46 PM
About three years ago, we moved from Alaska to Colorado. We still summer in Alaska, but I have moved most of my wood working equipment to Colorado. We have a 2-1/2 car garage, of which I have 1-1/2 stalls plus a 150 s.f. loft for my shop. This is roughly the same amount of space that I had in my dedicated Alaska shop, however, there is less overall floor space for heavy equipment due to the loft, and one less wall. I am struggling with space issues as we have no space to expand the shop, and we are not likely to move in the next few years.

I have number of floor standing power tools, including a 6" jointer, and a 16" planer. It is likely that I could sell both and get a 12" combo machine to save a few square feet of space. I estimate that I could get between $2500 and $3000 by selling the planer and the jointer to spend on a combo. On the one hand, this would double my jointer capacity, but on the other hand, it would limit my planer capacity. I would really like a wider planer - 6" limits the lumber I can flatten. However, I purchased a 16" planer so that I could plane two sets of glue-ups 16" wide and glue those together for up to 32" wide. This is most useful to me when making cabinet carcasses table tops and the like. That, and I have a lot of lumber that is more than 12" wide. Also, I am concerned that a 12" jointer on a combo machine is not going to be anything like a 12" dedicated jointer! I am reluctant to switch my gear to a combo, but I thought I would solicit some comments from you folks that have faced the same decision!

Thank you,

Jon McElwain

Darius Ferlas
01-10-2013, 8:27 PM
There are 16" combos too (http://www.hammerusa.com/us-us/products/jointer%E2%80%93planers/jointer-planer-a3-41--410-mm.html).
If that's not enough you can look at 20" combos (http://www.felderusa.com/us-us/products/jointer%E2%80%93planers/jointer-planer-ad-951-power-drive--510-mm-compare.html).

I'm not sure what you mean by I am concerned that a 12" jointer on a combo machine is not going to be anything like a 12" dedicated jointer!

I have a 12" Hammer jointer/planer and very happy I moved on from a dedicated jointer, although mine was a 6". With combos you may have to plan your work a little differently to minimize the number of times you switch between the jointer and the planer. In case of th machine I have it takes about 30 seconds to a minute.

Rich Riddle
01-10-2013, 8:35 PM
What brand of 6" jointer and 16" planer do you currently own? I recently purchased a Minimax FS35, about a 14" planer/jointer, but it's an older model. I truly enjoy it.

Rod Sheridan
01-11-2013, 8:48 AM
Like Rich and Darius, I went from single machines to a Hammer A3-31.

I had General machines before, and like the Hammer even better.

A combo is a great solution..................Regards, Rod.

mreza Salav
01-11-2013, 8:57 AM
Went from a 6" J + 12.5" P to a Minimax FS-350 (14") J/P. Very happy as I always was jointer challenged.
Never needed to plane wider boards but have used almost all the 14" jointer capacity.

Bas Pluim
01-11-2013, 9:48 AM
I have a JJP-12HH combo machine. Love the 12" jointer capability. Yes, the tables are shorter than a standalone jointer would have. If you routinely face joint long boards (8'+), this is definitely a drawback. It's certainly feasible with a couple of roller stands, but it's not easy, and not something I'd want to do every day. I found I rarely face joint boards that long, most of my project pieces are in the 3' - 5' range, so it wasn't an issue for me.

To complement the J/P, I have the Jet 16/32 drum sander. Among other things, it helps me flatten larger glue-ups. Between the two machines, I can tackle most projects. But, if you don't have room for a drum sander, the 12" planer capability would restrict your larger casework.

I actually have the room for separate machines, but it's not just the machine footprint you have to consider. You also need plenty of infeed and outfeed space, and this is where the savings from the combo truly kick in. It also meant I got a helical head for both machines for the price of one. That was huge.

Curt Harms
01-11-2013, 9:52 AM
In terms of space, I have a Jet JJP-12 straight knives. Mine is on a mobile base. It takes 2' X 5' with the fence forward. It does what I expect.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-11-2013, 10:08 AM
I have a CF741 Felder combo machine, which includes their superb jointer planer combo. Changeovers are very quick, because of the power adjusting, it can easily be done in less than 30 seconds. Like Bas mentioned, the Euro style beds are shorter, but its a bit deceptive. It's a length vs width optical illusion partly. The beds on my 16" machine are 66" long. Most 8" jointers are similar. If you feel the need, you can add tables to the Felder or Hammer machines that would give you another 20" of bed length. I think MM can as well.

One more feature of my full combo machine that I love, is the ability to swing the power feeder over the output table on my jointer for face jointing. It makes that job effortless and precise.

John Piwaron
01-11-2013, 10:17 AM
I've been thinking about this. But I have a Delta DJ-20 and am loathe to give up the long long tables it has. And it's a machine I lusted after for a long time. :)

But I do want a spiral cutter head. For planing. I'm not seeing a need for that on the jointer considering how I go about making parts. I like Hammer's stand alone planer. Floor standing, I'll have to be creative about adding that to my shop for space reasons. But definitely a step up from a lunchbox.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-11-2013, 2:11 PM
Just to clarify the Felder info I posted earlier, a CF741 like I have, is just the AD741 jointer/planer and a KF700 saw/shaper bolted together. There is an interlink of the electronics that makes it so that you can only use one machine at a time. Great machines!