PDA

View Full Version : Using Water Based Stain and Dyes

George Bokros
01-10-2013, 6:23 PM
I am going to use General Finishes Water based Dye on a cherry table I will be making. I know water based finishes raise the grain and many dampen the surfaces with plain water then sand again to smooth the raised grain prior to applying the water based finishes. Will the water stain the cherry?

Thanks

George

Jerry Thompson
01-10-2013, 7:11 PM
Why stain/dye cherry? Let it out in the sun and it will develop beautiful color. Water won't stain the wood. Just spritz some water on it and let it dry and knock back gently with some 220 grit. Keep with the grain as scratches will show up like a new dime.

George Bokros
01-10-2013, 7:34 PM
I am dying the cherry because the wife says she wants a specific color. Need I say more?

George

Jerry Thompson
01-10-2013, 8:02 PM
'Nuff said.

Brett Robson
01-10-2013, 9:30 PM
Cherry has a tendency to absorb finishes unevenly which leads to unsightly blotching. You might want to consider using this (https://charlesneilwoodworking.3dcartstores.com/Charles-Neils-Pre-Color-Conditioner--Blotch-Control_p_47.html) first before using the dye.

Mel Fulks
01-10-2013, 10:01 PM
You do need to control drips because you can get a ring stain at edges of applied water. We used to use warm to hot water pretty freely. After drying we would use a NEW piece of sandpaper ,usually 150 grit,just enough to remove whiskers.One of the best things about the dyes is that you can add more on areas that are too light ,to get an even color.That needs some practice.

George Bokros
01-12-2013, 7:43 PM
Cherry has a tendency to absorb finishes unevenly which leads to unsightly blotching. You might want to consider using this (https://charlesneilwoodworking.3dcartstores.com/Charles-Neils-Pre-Color-Conditioner--Blotch-Control_p_47.html) first before using the dye.

Thanks for the tip Brett. I watched the video and promptly ordered some. It looks like amazing stuff. We picked out some GF Water based dye stain for the project.

George

Brett Robson
01-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Good choice on the GF dye stains. Of the ones I've used, they tend to be very strong and sometimes give too much color. Just make sure to test them on some scrap (no-brainer, I know) and possible dilute them a bit if it comes out too dark.

Bob Wingard
01-13-2013, 8:59 PM
Thanks for the tip Brett. I watched the video and promptly ordered some. It looks like amazing stuff.George

You will LOVE this product !!! !!! !!!

Scott Holmes
01-13-2013, 9:41 PM
CN blotch control works much better with water dyes than it does with alcohol dyes.