PDA

View Full Version : How do I build this wall mirror?

ken masoumi
01-10-2013, 4:45 PM
I have a newbie question:
I'd like to know how to attach the mirror in the picture below to the shelf in order to make the whole thing as one single piece?
1=Should I make the vertical portion of the frame longer then sandwich the shelf's backing in between?
2=just build the mirror and the shelf separately ,then dowel them together?
3=none of the above?
How would you go about building this mirror so it's can be carried/attached to a wall as a single piece?
Thank you for your help.
Ken.

Paul Symchych
01-10-2013, 5:15 PM
How about a variant of #2?
Build the shelf and attach it to the frame. It will have the brackets below and the upper edge which can be glued and screwed to the frame.
I suppose dowels could work if there is a major aversion to hardware but screws seem more secure.

ken masoumi
01-11-2013, 7:24 AM
Thank you Paul.
The reason I was puzzled was ,after looking at a close up picture ,the stile is one solid piece (if viewed from the side) and not in 2 pieces even though it would make more sense to be built that way.
I guess the easiest way is like you said to make them in 2 pcs and join them with a couple of brackets.

Lee Schierer
01-11-2013, 1:16 PM
Let me answer that with a picture of a similar mirror.250762 I made the stiles longer. I cut mortices and tenons for the rails. The shelf, in your case drawers, is attached via screws from the back. If you didn't want solid wood behind the drawers simply make two rails at the bottom of the mirror, one at the top edge of the drawers, the other at the bottom. You really don't need anything behind the drawers.

ken masoumi
01-11-2013, 5:58 PM
Let me answer that with a picture of a similar mirror.250762 I made the stiles longer. I cut mortices and tenons for the rails. The shelf, in your case drawers, is attached via screws from the back.
The picture in your post is exactly how I thought it could have been done,thank you for taking the time to post it and clarifying it for me.

If you didn't want solid wood behind the drawers simply make two rails at the bottom of the mirror, one at the top edge of the drawers, the other at the bottom. You really don't need anything behind the drawers.
Although solid wood is not needed in the back of the drawers/shelf but I'm planing on keeping it simple by leaving the wood behind it but make the shelve longer than the frame ,then notch it so the mirror fits inside the shelves and the shelf ends will touch the wall,like the picture below. I hope it makes sense what I'm saying.
Thank you again for your help.

Lee Schierer
01-11-2013, 9:21 PM
The picture in your post is exactly how I thought it could have been done,thank you for taking the time to post it and clarifying it for me.

Although solid wood is not needed in the back of the drawers/shelf but I'm planing on keeping it simple by leaving the wood behind it but make the shelve longer than the frame ,then notch it so the mirror fits inside the shelves and the shelf ends will touch the wall,like the picture below. I hope it makes sense what I'm saying.
Thank you again for your help.

Be careful making a wide solid board behind the drawers. Seasonal wood movement could be a problem for the connection to the stiles. If you want to close off the opening inset a piece of 1/4" plywood to close up the space behind the drawers you won't be able to see.