PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cabinet - what should I do with the top?

Jeff R. King
01-10-2013, 2:13 PM
I posted about this a few weeks back asking about door size and staining/dying methods (thanks for the help!). Now I have one last question...I haven't built the top for this yet. I know I'll use 3/4" plywood but don't know how much overhang I should have. The cabinet doors are 3/4" thick and stick out a bit more due to the hinges - I'd say they are a total of about 1" out...probably a bit less. What is the usual overhand for a top? Or, what do you think would look the best? The cabinet dimensions are 72" tall by 37" wide and 22" deep. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks - Jeff250664250665

Jeff Monson
01-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Not sure that I would just put a flat top on it, if it were mine anyways. I'd look at maybe a cove molding to finish off the top, I think that would finish off a nicely done cabinet. Looks great!

Mike Henderson
01-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I'd dovetail two boards across the top, one in front and one in back. Then put your top on and use screws from underneath to attach the top (elongate the holes to allow for movement). That way, you can have some overhang of the top, which looks better than just a flat top, and you can put a profile on the top, and even put a molding just under the top (where it sticks over the cabinet) if you want to go that far.

Mike