PDA

View Full Version : Wipe on varnish technique

Ole Anderson
01-10-2013, 11:39 AM
As I was wiping on the second coat of varnish this morning on my shop cabinet (same as this Hickory one I did in the pic for my wife except using soft Maple), I was wondering if I was doing it right. I just use half a blue shop towel dip it in the varnish (I use Minwax satin wipe-on varnish) which I pool in a plastic container and put it on heavy enough that it might run on vertical surfaces. I don't wipe it off, just let it dry, hit it with 2 more coats, lightly sand with 400 grit and apply Johnson's paste wax. Always turns out nice. So why am I asking? I remember watching David Marks videos and he wipes his "tung oil" on with one hand and immediately wipes any excess off with a dry towel in the other. Probably different with wipe-on varnish as it seems it would take forever to get any kind of film which would allow even a light sanding. Oh, and I never get any run streaks as the stuff is half mineral oil (edit: make that mineral SPIRITS) which evaporates. Is this how you do it? Your comments?

Prashun Patel
01-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Wipe on varnish is applied differently from oil/varnish or oil. The first is done how you do it, with the intent of getting a film (however thin or thick). The latter is done with the intent of basically sealing the wood and getting an even sheen - with no film. The oil content prevents a film from building up, but would be gummy if left to pool - which is not as much a risk with pure varnish.

If your technique works and is predictable, then I say don't mess with success.

If, however, you wish to try something new, try his technique. You'll get better success adding a little oil to your wipe on varnish (BLO or tung is fine). The reason is that the oil will also increase the open time of the liquid, so it'll wipe off and rub in a little better than just the varnish - which can start drying very quickly. It IS possible to use Marks' method with a straight wiping varnish, but what you might find is that the quick drying causes streaks to develop. You have to be quick and more thorough about it.

Oil varnish finishes benefit (IMHO) from wetsanding in the first couple coats of finish into the wood.

BTW, I think you meant Mineral SPIRITS, not Mineral OIL, right?

Ole Anderson
01-10-2013, 1:21 PM
BTW, I think you meant Mineral SPIRITS, not Mineral OIL, right?

THAT is what I was speaking of. Mineral SPIRITS. Thanks.

Scott Holmes
01-10-2013, 5:08 PM
The wipe on varnish technique is very simple and very easy. Wipe it like the kid wipes the table at the burger joint. All you want is damp wood. No shiny spots, no puddles, etc. It should dry in ~45 minutes then another coat, repeat for 3 coats per session. I would not use any sandpaer until you've done at least 6 coats (2 sets of 3 coats, 45 minutes apart).

Oil and oil/varnish blends need to be allowed to soak in for a while; then wiped dry.