PDA

View Full Version : Cutting board prices - Wow

Tom Walz
01-10-2013, 11:18 AM
http://fab.com/sale/15972/product/310284/

(http://fab.com/sale/15972/?navEmail=1&email_user=president%40carbideprocessors.com&utm_source=Triggermail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=2013-01-10_daily_sale_email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Sales%20Campagin%20on%20Janua ry%2010%202013)

Ellen Benkin
01-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Good luck to them.

David Nelson1
01-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Pretty tough whollening the holes out in the handle and nicking it with small gouge.

Joe Hillmann
01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Just because they have it listed online doesn't mean they actually sell any.

Dale Cruea
01-10-2013, 12:07 PM
This reminds me of when I walk through our mall on "craft" day.
A grand father clock $2400. Looked like a 10 year old had build it.
Joints wide open and not a piece of good hardwood in it.
The guy was very proud of his clock.
He got a little ticked when I pointed out just a few of his mistakes.
He told me if I thought I could do better I should build my own.
It is on my todo list. Just don't know where to put it when it is finished.

Prashun Patel
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
There is free shipping, though.

Ted Calver
01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
My wife sells some unique crochet items on her ETSY store and was recently contacted by fab. They offered her half of what she sells the items for and suggested she could make up the difference in volume. Some things are truly made by hand and can't be mass produced unless some poor third world person makes them for pennies on the dollar, then made in the USA goes out the window.

Greg Portland
01-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Tom, you get to increase prices 10x if you work in a "studio" making "bespoke" "artisanal" crafts. It helps if you have a mustache.

Eric DeSilva
01-10-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm guessing the extra handle adds $150 to the price.

Anyone have any idea why you'd want two handles on a cutting board? Hell, mine don't even have one.

Greg Portland
01-10-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm guessing the extra handle adds $150 to the price.

Anyone have any idea why you'd want two handles on a cutting board? Hell, mine don't even have one.
Left handed versus right handed spanking? My mom could have used that when I was growing up :)

Ryan Mooney
01-10-2013, 1:59 PM
Tom, you get to increase prices 10x if you work in a "studio" making "bespoke" "artisanal" crafts. It helps if you have a mustache.

Would a scraggly beard work? I think I can pull that off... The mustache thing has never worked very well for me despite trying several times over the years (being blond doesn't help the appearance none I can tell you).

The "carving" looks to me like it was done with a pin router or similar. The edges on the board were clearly hit with a poorly aligned roundover bit and then not cleaned up very well. Unimpressed by the board, definitely impressed by the price. I really do wonder how much some of this sort of thing sells.. Might be more than you'd think.

Carl Beckett
01-10-2013, 2:33 PM
Well... For me this would take an afternoon to build and finish and advertise and ship (I'm a hobbiest, what can I say....). But
Let's say 2 to 4 hours. 3 hours shop time at $60/hr = $180

I'm keeping my day job. I recon I might sell one every 3 months or so......??

Whats off in my math here?

Eric DeSilva
01-10-2013, 2:41 PM
Hopefully--if this was your livelihood--you'd have some jigs made up to produce 10 (or 100) at a go, rather than one by one.

Darius Ferlas
01-10-2013, 2:52 PM
Yeah, but the shipping is free.

Carl Beckett
01-10-2013, 5:03 PM
Well, work it backwards. Lers say $40 is a reasonable price. Then you might want to have a profit... Say 50%. So I have to make them for $20 each, with overhead and distribution and shipping and everything else factored in. (which gives me what... 15 to 20mins to spend making each one) From what I can see, the handles here are hand formed (at least to some degree), so can't just set it up on a cnc and let ER rip. I still can't see how to make any money at it.

Not saying they will sell any, but I do see how the price came out so high

Kevin Bourque
01-10-2013, 5:07 PM
They should carve , KARDASHIAN, into it and then double the price.

David Nelson1
01-10-2013, 5:08 PM
Would a scraggly beard work? I think I can pull that off... The mustache thing has never worked very well for me despite trying several times over the years (being blond doesn't help the appearance none I can tell you).

The "carving" looks to me like it was done with a pin router or similar. The edges on the board were clearly hit with a poorly aligned roundover bit and then not cleaned up very well. Unimpressed by the board, definitely impressed by the price. I really do wonder how much some of this sort of thing sells.. Might be more than you'd think.

Well it was hand made and no 2 are alike. C'mon pay attention!:D

Tom Stenzel
01-10-2013, 5:16 PM
Left handed versus right handed spanking? My mom could have used that when I was growing up :)

However hard I try, I can't top that one!

Thanks for the laugh,

Tom Stenzel

John Shaffner
01-10-2013, 5:50 PM
I too, have an Etsy shop and was approached by fab. I was offered 1/3 of my asking price, but they wanted 100 of them. I humored them and told them to send payment through paypal. That was 18 mos ago. A fool, I'm not.
John

Stephen Cherry
01-10-2013, 7:27 PM
No matter how you slice it, that's an expensive cutting board.

(get it?, slice it, cutting board,... it's a joke:p)

Jim Riseborough
01-11-2013, 7:46 AM
Im sure that the folks making that in Bangladesh or Kursticutkai only make 3-4$ a day, if that.

Rod Sheridan
01-11-2013, 8:39 AM
No matter how you slice it, that's an expensive cutting board.

(get it?, slice it, cutting board,... it's a joke:p)

You quack me up...........Rod.

Mike Cutler
01-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Uhmmm,,,, What exactly are you supposed to cut on that board?
I'm not going to get into the price, or quality, but other than slicing a loaf of Italian bread, that board is too narrow to be of much use.
It's also going to cup someday.

Hey Ted

What does your wife sell on ETSY?
My wife bought me some crocheted coffee cup warmers/holders? off ETSY.

Ted Calver
01-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Mike, she sells American Girl Doll clothes and pot holders....mostly pot holders. You can find them in the 'adult' section of ETSY or Google ManHandle pot holders:)

Kyle Iwamoto
01-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Maybe I should build one and undercut his price by say, 25 bucks? I could even double his decorations... Put gouge marks in all 4 corners. I could make a lot of money.

Ron Kellison
01-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Maybe I should build one and undercut his price by say, 25 bucks? I could even double his decorations... Put gouge marks in all 4 corners. I could make a lot of money.

My plan is to grow watermelons and sell them for $500 each on EBay. It's easy work! I only have to sell one a day and then I can buy more tools!

Ron

Mike Cutler
01-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Mike, she sells American Girl Doll clothes and pot holders....mostly pot holders. You can find them in the 'adult' section of ETSY or Google ManHandle pot holders:)

Those are too funny!:p:p.
I'll have to show them to my wife.

Ole Anderson
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Last year, a month before Christmas, I ordered a set of modular knitting needles for my wife, made I am guessing, by a hobbiest in a small shop. When I got them they were very nice, but they didn't arrive until 11 months after I ordered them. I guess he got a few more orders than he planned on. I think they were through ETSY also.

Joe Hillmann
01-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Mike, In the last couple weeks I made two small cutting boards, one 6"x6" and the other 6"x12". Before that my smallest cutting board was 14"x20" It was always a pain in the but to pull it out to cut up a few potatoes or slice some cheese and then wash it because it is bigger than my sink. Now the 6"x12" one lives on my counter so it is always handy to grab.

Ryan Mooney
01-11-2013, 1:35 PM
Im sure that the folks making that in Bangladesh or Kursticutkai only make 3-4$ a day, if that.

That was my first impression as well, but looking around I don't think its true. His marketing material is pretty adamantly in the other direction and I'm inclined to give folks the benefit of the doubt (sometimes incorrectly), but I don't have any real reason to doubt him here.

He actually sells a couple different sizes: http://www.blackcreekmt.com/styles_sizes_pricing_ordering.html
And does in fact have a nifty set of facial hair: http://www.designsponge.com/2012/12/maker-stories-blackcreek-mercantile-co.html

While we can pan on the details personally I hope he sells a ton of them. They aren't my thing but it takes a lot of gumption to get out there and market stuff and make it work so good on him if it goes.

Frankly I think most people undercharge for "artisan" goods and that that actually hurts their sales (and the overall market in the long run). The truth is 99% of the public has no idea what constitutes quality so the substitute price or (questionable) reviews for knowledge. Practically speaking for items in this price range no one is really going to read much for reviews so you're basically trying to hit some "want" urge in the buyer and there are a number of ways to hit this. Being 'fancy" is certainly one of them (fancy subject to person, local and temporal interpretations of course :D)

Don Morris
01-11-2013, 5:57 PM
I'll build one out of pine for anyone for half of that

Wade Lippman
01-11-2013, 6:50 PM
I guess no one noticed that it is made of "wood". Surely that makes it a reasonable price.

Years ago I went to a Vietnamese restaurant that served "meat'. Same idea?

Brad Cambell
01-11-2013, 8:18 PM
Ya, but did you notice "the beautiful carved details"? It looked like my 3 year old nephew carved them!
There is a no return policy?!?!?!!?!?!

Steven Hsieh
01-11-2013, 8:59 PM
Nothing unusual...