PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the ideas on tool storage.

Ty King
01-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Here is a quick fix to our gouge storage. My Dad and I share a shop and organization is an issue, but we are making progress. Any ideas or comments are welcome.250649250648

Brian Kent
01-10-2013, 12:42 PM
First of all, Ty, I love the geometry of how that holds the tools. I used the same kind of holder for my fishing rods. The one thing that I would add is a roof - a horizontal bar above the top row of sharp pointy things. Just for safety if you ever are carrying something past and gouge your arm or slip and gouge your eye. (recommendation by my one-eyed cousin Gary, who lost his eye on a piece of sheet metal. I like very much that the bigger tools have their tops covered by the top rack.

Greg Ketell
01-10-2013, 1:24 PM
I really like that! I like Brian's idea for a "cover" too. Since my shop is my garage someone is sure to run into any available sharp pointy things. Heck, she cut herself with her own thumbnail in her sleep. Sheesh! :D

Harry Robinette
01-10-2013, 7:59 PM
Totally agree with Brian and Greg Cover those tips. That's an accident waiting to happen. I cut my arm carrying a log into my buddy's shop from tools sticking up from low rack.

David Brightwell
01-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Apparently y'all need to watch where you're going. Ty, they look awesome!

Thom Sturgill
01-13-2013, 7:25 AM
Ty, I have similar racks. I have a workbench behind me when I am at the lathe and it has racks on both ends. Bowl gouges and scrapers are at on end in a single rack and the table edge forms a partial 'roof'. the other end holds a double rack full of spindle gouges, skews and other pointy things. That area is blocked from direct access by a rolling tool cabinet so the only problem is the ones that stick above the table top. Personally I like seeing the end of the gouge rather than the end of the handle.

Do you move just the tools you are going to use in a project to the small rack mounted on top of the drawers?