PDA

View Full Version : Two Flame Box Elder

Prashun Patel
01-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Sniff, sniff. These are the last of some logs I got a couple years ago. Both are about 7" dia x 5" tall. Visitors tend to be drawn to the red one, but I'm partial to the curly one.

Both are finished in oil/varnish. The hole one has poly in the blend, though. The solid one has a phenolic varnish. FWIW, I agree with those who say poly gives a plasticky cast (once it starts to build)

C&C welcome.

Jim Burr
01-10-2013, 4:26 PM
Nice Prashun!!! You used the last two well, I'm sure they are proud to be bowls...I like the curl in the red one!

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2013, 6:57 PM
Really nice looking bowls Prashun. I like them both.

Harry Robinette
01-10-2013, 7:32 PM
Prashun
I like them both also. I think you did a nice job of using the end of that wood.

Rodney Walker
01-10-2013, 10:15 PM
I like both, but like you prefer the big one with the curl though probably for different reasons. I tend to prefer "Useful" over "Art" though I believe you can have both in the same piece. Beautiful tight pattern on the curl and a pleasing form plus it'll at least hold popcorn if not soup. It has a nice rim treatment as well. The hole in the side of the red one would place it firmly in the "Art" category though it's still a beautiful and interesting piece.
Rodney

Baxter Smith
01-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Have to say I go for the curly one as well though both are pretty.

Dennis Ford
01-10-2013, 10:19 PM
I like them both, you did a good job on the shape and on cleanly cutting the curly grain (not often easy with Box Elder).

Kathy Marshall
01-10-2013, 10:36 PM
They both look great Prashun, but I'd have to go with the curly one too, very nice tight curl in that one!

Donny Lawson
01-11-2013, 9:59 PM
Great bowls. Box Elder is nice to work with.