PDA

View Full Version : Chisel style for chopping dovetail waste?

Scott M Perry
01-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Hi, all -

I'm looking for a new 1/8" chisel for chopping waste on small dovetails. I have several Ashley Iles bench chisels (the longer ones), and want to keep with them. They're offered as the longer, "London" pattern chisels, and shorter "American" pattern chisels. For dovetailing, is there an advantage to one over the other? The American pattern are more like bevel edged butt chisels. I've been using the longer style (1/4") with decent results; I'm not sure what, if any, advantage there would be with the shorter ones.

Thanks for any help.
Scott

bob blakeborough
01-10-2013, 12:18 PM
In my humble opinion, they is no one chisel that is best for everyone. It comes down to what you like. Do you want to chop more or pare more? Do you like longer handles or shorter handles? Do you like a heavier feel or a lighter feel? etc etc

I have BS chisels and love them, but they are not cost effective. They are a bit longer as well and while they are fantastic, I have used my buddies LN's and I have to admit the shorter handle length was kind of nice in my hand for chopping, but the longer handle of the BS I like a lot more for paring, and for those of use who are not amazing woodworkers, dovetails usually end up needing a bit of both! Haha!

Really it comes down to your own preferences. If you can get the opportunity to try a few different ones at friends or shows etc, do that and maybe you will decide you like one better over the other...

Mike Henderson
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I've chopped dovetails with all kinds of chisels. They all work. Choose the one you feel most comfortable with.

Personally, I like a chisel with an edge that holds up a long time so I don't have to stop to resharpen so often.

Mike

Jim Koepke
01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
My current project has me cutting a lot of dovetails. The layout was sized to work with a 1/2" chisel. For the chopping work, my preference is a somewhat short Witherby beveled firmer chisel. It seems to give me better control than the longer chisels.

It holds its edge and works well at paring. The bevel is a bit steeper than my "paring" chisels.

The handle is long enough that my full hand can be holding it without fear of getting whacked by the mallet. My chisel handles are made with a bead at the base for pushing against or hold between fingers for control when whacking.

For me a short stout chisel is better for chopping out waste.

jtk

David Weaver
01-10-2013, 12:47 PM
For tapping small bits between tails, I'd choose the shorter version in 1/8th. If it's an inch shorter in the metal, it should be easier to use and stiffer.

Scott M Perry
01-10-2013, 1:17 PM
American pattern it is! Thanks, guys.