PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 9 problems

Jeff Monson
01-09-2013, 7:46 PM
Need some help from a computer guru. I cant get my IE9 to open unless I start it with the add-ons disabled (have to start it under the system tools icon). I've tried managing my add-ons with no luck. This is a very new hard drive, and very few add-ons are even available. After the new hard drive and Windows 7 were installed, IE9 worked great until a couple days ago. I run Avast anti-virus, and have checked my hard drive for virus's with none found. Anyone offer some help.

Kevin W Johnson
01-09-2013, 8:32 PM
Jeff,

If you open internet options and click the advanced tab, you'll see a box to reset internet explorer. Give that a try first.

Second, be prepared for all the responses asking why you're using IE9, and not blah, blah, blah browser instead.

paul cottingham
01-09-2013, 9:25 PM
Just to get it out of the way, the easiest way to fix IE is to use Firefox. That being said, try running Spybot or some other good spyware removal tool.

Jeff Monson
01-09-2013, 9:30 PM
Jeff,

If you open internet options and click the advanced tab, you'll see a box to reset internet explorer. Give that a try first.

Second, be prepared for all the responses asking why you're using IE9, and not blah, blah, blah browser instead.

Wont let me reset, tells me to "close all open windows before I can reset", funny thing is I dont have any open windows.

Larry Browning
01-09-2013, 9:39 PM
Wont let me reset, tells me to "close all open windows before I can reset", funny thing is I dont have any open windows.

Have you tried rebooting?

Oh yeah, the easiest fix to to dump IE and get, Firefox.... I'm just sayin'

Jeff Monson
01-09-2013, 9:54 PM
Have you tried rebooting?

Oh yeah, the easiest fix to to dump IE and get, Firefox.... I'm just sayin'

Seems last computer I tried to install Firefox on, I ended up with "pc speed fix" and some "24-7 live operator" icons on my desktop. If Firefox is the answer then is there a safe download? I dont want AOL and 500 other add-ons put on my computer that just cause problems.

Pat Barry
01-09-2013, 9:56 PM
Go to Mozilla website and download from there. I have never gotten all that useless stuff from them.

Phil Thien
01-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Install Internet Explorer 10.

Nice features, like integrated spell checker.

IE10 comes with Win8, but they do have a version you can install on Win7.

Here:

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Info/Downloads/Default.html

Mike Henderson
01-09-2013, 10:31 PM
I use Google's Chrome and like it. No problems.

Mike

paul cottingham
01-09-2013, 11:37 PM
just grab forefox from the mozilla website.

Jeff Monson
01-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Go to Mozilla website and download from there. I have never gotten all that useless stuff from them.

I must have added Mozilla from a banner site or something last time, I had more time invested in removing banner ads and add on toolbars. Thanks for the tip, it works like a champ and no add-ons!!!

Curt Harms
01-10-2013, 7:42 AM
I must have added Mozilla from a banner site or something last time, I had more time invested in removing banner ads and add on toolbars. Thanks for the tip, it works like a champ and no add-ons!!!

What ?! You don't like the 'value added'? :D. If you really want control over what your browser does, consider adding a few extensions. Adblock plus, Noscript & Ghostery are my current choices. Noscript can be a little bit of a pain at first. It blocks most javascript by default and many sites are non-functional. You can choose to allow, temporarily allow or hell no not ever:). It's enlightening to go to a site like NFL.com and look at the amount of crap that it wants to run. The downside - if you consider it a downside - is that some sites require most or all scripting enabled in order to function properly. For instance, many functions of Home Depot or Lowes site won't work unless you allow "homedepot.com" or "lowes.com". Shopping carts may not work until you allow whatever service the site uses, authorize.net, paypal.com or whatever. Once you okay a site, it is allowed unless you say otherwise.

Image zoom is handy to zoom and rotate pics on web sites. If you have more than one machine, I find sync useful as well. It will save your bookmarks, cookies and whatever else you want on an encrypted mozilla server. you set up sync on a new Firefox install and bookmarks, extensions and whatever else you selected is 'just there'. When you add or remove something, all machines set up with sync do the same. If you do set up sync, you'll get a user name, password and a many alphanumeric character key. Don't lose it, I don't think there's any way to recover it except off a functioning browser with sync active.

Chuck Wintle
01-10-2013, 4:52 PM
just grab forefox from the mozilla website.

I will second this suggestion and Firefox works well for me.