PDA

View Full Version : 6 inch jointer

Gerry S. Wojtowicz
01-09-2013, 7:05 PM
This question has been asked a thousand times before probably. I'm looking for a 6 inch jointer. Rikon and Delta don't seem to make them any more. That leave Jet, Grizzly, and Powermatic that I know of. Anyone have a preference. ALso any experience with Helical knives. The ease of changing alone seems to be worth the extra money. Thanks in advance for your input.

Cary Falk
01-09-2013, 7:15 PM
I had a Jet and it was ok but I don't think it was worth them money I paid for it. It was the only on that had handwheels. I didn't know about Grizzly at that Time. I sold it for an 8" Shop Fox (Same as G0490) becahse I wanted a spiral head and didn't want to waste money to put the head on the 6". Don't forget about the Ridigid that gets godd reviews. I see so many 6" jointers on CL that I would have to think twice about buying a new 6" jointer. Your CL may be diffferent.

Rich Riddle
01-09-2013, 7:27 PM
I agree with Cary. If you are looking for a 6" look for used. Most people start with the 6" and move forward. I started with a tiny 4, then 6, then 8, then 10, and finally 14". Where are you located? That would help us offer advice.

Eric Ackerman
01-09-2013, 10:42 PM
I couldnt find one on CL and had been researching one for a long time. Through a series of happy coincidences I was surprised with one for my Bday/Christmas present. It was the Powermatic with the easy set kives. I can tell you it's only been a couple weeks but that sucker went together and was dead set perfect in every way... I used it quite a bit last weekend and can say I am thrilled. It was pricey, but since "she bought" it, i sort of got a hall pass :)

BIg thank you to my Dad for vectoring her to it... but it was the best surprise since I was a kid, Ralphie and his red ryder BB gun got nothing on me....

Sorry if this turned into a gloat, but it really is a great jointer.

Sam Murdoch
01-09-2013, 10:49 PM
This is what I decided on for my small shop and it has been a great tool. No frustrations - set up was as it came. http://www.powermatic.com/Products.aspx?Part=1791279DXK I like the longer bed since I can't have the wider bed :).

Jim Andrew
01-09-2013, 11:03 PM
I'd go for at least an 8" if you are buying a jointer. When I moved up from a 6", found the 6" wasn't worth much, so just gave it to a friend. Cheaper to just buy what you are really going to want, than moving up from a 6" to an 8" or 12". Grizzly jointers are just fine, when I get a new Grizzly tool, I feel around on the castings for sharp edges, and just take them off with a file. Otherwise they are just as good as the more expensive jointers.

Steven Hsieh
01-09-2013, 11:34 PM
I agree that best to get the 8" in the long run.

If it was my dream shop.

The first jointer size would be 16".
It will be used for flattening a face only.

The second size would be 8".
It will be used for squaring an edge only.

Last would be the bench top jointer. Used for short pieces like 5-8" long pieces.

Steven Hsieh
01-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Do you have a budget?

Gerry S. Wojtowicz
01-10-2013, 5:45 PM
Thanks to all for your input. I agree that an 8" jointer would be preferable, but I'm not sure I'd be able to set it up (due to the weight of the bed). I'm not at all interested in having to spend any time setting up the knives which is why I would prefer a jointer with a helical head. Space is another consideration for the 6 over the 8 inch jointer (as in I don't have a lot of it). I have a Grizzley band saw and sanding station, and a Jet table saw. From what I can see Grizzley seems to be the best for the price, while Powermatic seems to be the best for overall quality. There's a woodworking show coming up at the Eastern States in West Springfield, Ma (I'm from Ct). I may check it out. Again, thanks for your input.

Sam Murdoch
01-10-2013, 6:17 PM
Just a bit more about the Powermatic I linked to it does use double sided knives which change out very easily. it will take a Byrd head. I think it has the longest bed of the 6" jointers available (used to anyway) which is a very useful feature on a jointer.

David Kuzdrall
01-10-2013, 6:29 PM
I realize that this is not what you want to year, but there may be good reasons why some companies are not making them anymore...I outgrew mine in about 5-10 minutes...I upgraded to a g0490x (8" helical) and while I love it, the second I see a deal on a 12" or larger helical jointer, I will buy it immediately.

I would try and find a way to fit the slightly larger footprint of the 8", you will be happy that you did.

Andrew Kertesz
01-10-2013, 6:38 PM
I found several links for a Rikon when I googled Rikon Jointer. Here's one: http://www.oakale.com/products/Rikon-20%252d100-6%252dInch-Jointer-with-Center-Mount-Fence-%252d%252d-1GO001ZW01BV99.html

Bruce Wrenn
01-10-2013, 10:22 PM
I have an OLD grizzly 6", and it does everything I ask of it. I think it's a 1187.

Thomas Canfield
01-10-2013, 10:32 PM
I had a Delta 6" and moved up to a Delta 8" DJ20 that I found used. The 8" was great but took up a lot of floor space and was too much for my new shop after relocating. After watching Craigs list for a couple of months, I found a 6" Jet that would fit in my shop and do a reasonable job for my needs. I did use it to edge some 1x6 - 7'long ash by myself on the shorter tables using and extra outfeed roller. You sometimes have to just work with what space and $$ will allow. I would rather use the space and $$ for other toys, like adding back a mini lathe to go with my Powermatic.

Jerry Wright
01-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Take a look at General International machines. My experience is you get s lot for the money and fit and finish is very good.

Jim Foster
01-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Around 1989 or 1990 I bought a DJ-15 and liked it a lot. The beds seemed a little short, but with more practice and some good roller stands, I think I could have done a lot more with it than I did. I traded up to a DJ-20 and it's OK, but it seems like it's the DJ-15 is the one Delta machine I've had no complaints with. If you can find a nice used one, I think it would be a pretty good investment.

Gerry S. Wojtowicz
01-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Again, thank you all for your input. I have been leaning towards a Grizzley G0452Z. It comes with a spiral cutter head and a mobile base for $874 (shipping included). I looked at a Jet at Woodcraft that had three cutter blades and no mobile base for $899.

Brian Brightwell
01-11-2013, 11:12 AM
All I had for thirty years was a 6 inch Powermatic. Last year I got a Unitronix 16 inch. I still use the little powermatic for smaller pieces.
I also have two RASaws, a 10 inch Crapsman and a 16 inch Dewalt, and three table saws. I see nothing wrong with having more than one of something. It saves set up time and if one is down for maintenance you can still function.
I am hardly ever satisfied with cheap tools. My recommendation buy the best that you can.
I have a passion for good old tools.

Tony Leonard
01-11-2013, 2:32 PM
I have a Grizz 6" that I have owned since around '96. It has been a good machine and is still going strong. I had some issues with the fence mechanism being sloppy and Griz was worthless in fixing it. That swore me off of them (along with their terrible service when they had a store here). I fixed the fence myself and I have been very happy with the jointer. The knives have not been too much to fool with, but they are a little tricky to get right. I just upgraded my planer to a helical head. Works great, but I don't get the glass smooth surface I used to. Requires some extra work to smooth out the small ripples. I have broken a few cutters too (not sure I have figured out why). I had to re-torque all of the cutters to get a better surface.

I am saving up for an 8" and I will probably get the helix head option (not sure who's 8" I will buy yet).

Enjoy your "new" jointer!

Tony

Gerry S. Wojtowicz
01-11-2013, 6:31 PM
Sounds like you have more room in your wood shop than I do in my entire house, Brian.

Al Launier
01-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Keep looking on CL, you may find a good deal. I just picked this one up for $250 NIB (unopened box) http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/3548246612.html

Have to say that the assembly instructions were the best I've ever encountered. Whoever wrote this up really knew what he was doing. The Ridgid appears to be everything others have stated about it - a really good 6" jointer with rabbet shelf. The foot print is 12' x 29".

Harold Burrell
01-27-2013, 7:09 PM
Again, thank you all for your input. I have been leaning towards a Grizzley G0452Z. It comes with a spiral cutter head and a mobile base for $874 (shipping included). I looked at a Jet at Woodcraft that had three cutter blades and no mobile base for $899.

I have a G0452 and I like it. It was one of my first Grizzly tools and it has worked fine. That said...and I'm probably going to catch heck for this, but "oh well"...I would get the Grizzly you are looking at WAY before I would get the Jet (if this is your price range). Reason being, you will like the spiral cutter head a whole lot better (ESPECIALLY when it comes time to change blades. That is one of the jobs I absolutely hate! :mad:)