PDA

View Full Version : Need a Block Plane Suggestion

Bob Johnson2
04-29-2005, 9:14 AM
Hi all
Looking to pick up my son a good block plane for graduation for engineering school. I recently saw he has purchased The Plane Book after I gave him acouple extra Stanley's I had so I know he's inteested in them. Keeping in mind that a good way to learn is to own 1 good plane so you know what to expect I'd like to give him one. As I don't own any other then Stanley's I'm hoping you can suggest one. I'm thinking either LV or LN either a LA or not, I personnally get the most use out of the LA but that's just me. So what do you think you'd give your son if you were buying him a special gift? It's got to be a current model so I can get one...

Thanks
Bob

Tyler Howell
04-29-2005, 9:43 AM
The plane I grab more than any is the LN 102 a wonderful Neander adventure.:cool:

Tony Zaffuto
04-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Tyler, is the 102 low or regular angle?

I already got more block planes than fingers on my hands, but those little LN bronze models sure look nice!

My go-to block plane is a Stanley 60-1/2. My LN low angle is about the same size, however, I use the Stanley more because its weight just feels so much nicer in my hand and with a Hock blade, it planes as well as the LN.

T.Z.

John Weber
04-29-2005, 10:07 AM
That is an easy one. A Lie-Nielsen 60-1/2 Low Angle adjustable mouth block plane from Fine Tool Journal - $135 delivered!

John

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool_imgs/60_5_lg.jpg

http://www.finetoolj.com/ln/home.html

Wendell Wilkerson
04-29-2005, 11:04 AM
How big is your son? More importantly does he have large hands? The reason I ask is because I think it effects which block plane people prefer. I own a LV LA block and a LN 60-1/2R. The LN is smaller than the LV. I like the size of the LN better but I think I have small hands. Preformance wise I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.

By the way, nice drive-by gloat too!!! You got a child through engineering school and he's interested in woodworking. Way to go!!! How you do it? What's the secret? Congratulations.

Wendell (looking to the future for my 18 months old daughter)

Tyler Howell
04-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Tony the LN 102 is a LA fixed mouth Nice:cool:
Tyler, is the 102 low or regular angle?

I already got more block planes than fingers on my hands, but those little LN bronze models sure look nice!

My go-to block plane is a Stanley 60-1/2. My LN low angle is about the same size, however, I use the Stanley more because its weight just feels so much nicer in my hand and with a Hock blade, it planes as well as the LN.

T.Z.

Doug Shepard
04-29-2005, 11:15 AM
That is an easy one. A Lie-Nielsen 60-1/2 Low Angle adjustable mouth block plane from Fine Tool Journal - $135 delivered!

John

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool_imgs/60_5_lg.jpg

http://www.finetoolj.com/ln/home.html

Yup -that's the one.

Ed Hardin
04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Like John I own the little 102 LN. That's all the money I had on me at the time. It made me a Neanderthal. I made a few swipes on the sole, sharpened the blade and man oh man. Been buying planes ever since. Am now trying my hand at rehab. Now THAT is a learning experience!

Bob Johnson2
04-29-2005, 12:08 PM
How big is your son? More importantly does he have large hands? The reason I ask is because I think it effects which block plane people prefer. I own a LV LA block and a LN 60-1/2R. The LN is smaller than the LV. I like the size of the LN better but I think I have small hands. Preformance wise I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.

By the way, nice drive-by gloat too!!! You got a child through engineering school and he's interested in woodworking. Way to go!!! How you do it? What's the secret? Congratulations.

Wendell (looking to the future for my 18 months old daughter)

Wendell, He's 6' give or take, average build and size I guess so I don't think the size matters much. Didn't even recognise my own gloat! Really couldn't tell you how I did it, my better half must have. O guess maybe osmosis on the WW side of things.

Michael Perata
04-29-2005, 12:45 PM
One of the nice points of the 102 is it will fit in a shirt pocket and if he brings it to his work office/cube, he can put it on his desk and it becomes a great conversation starter.

Jim Becker
04-29-2005, 3:00 PM
A Lie-Nielsen 60-1/2 Low Angle adjustable mouth block plane

Also my choice, although the LV has gotten great comments.

Martin Shupe
04-29-2005, 3:22 PM
Also my choice, although the LV has gotten great comments.

I'll add my vote. I love mine. The rabbeting plane is another good choice...perfect for fitting tenons.

Clay Craig
04-30-2005, 11:38 AM
I'd agree that the 60.5 Lie-Nielsen is a clear choice.

The LV definitely has fans, but this is for an occasion, so the 'jewelry'-like aspect of the LN is appropriate. I also have a LN 102 (the adjustable-mouth 'special' model), but for his gift-plane, the 60.5 definitely gets my vote.

Clay

John Miliunas
04-30-2005, 1:32 PM
Another vote for the 60.5 in either configuration, the regular or rabbet. Love both of mine and sometimes find it hard to choose!:) :cool:

JayStPeter
04-30-2005, 2:58 PM
I really like my LV, but if I was buying a significant gift, I would buy the LN 60.5. I agree on the jewelry-like aspect.

Actually, for something that significant, I'd probably get a bronze #4 or #3 and have it engraved. To me, those are like a nice watch.

For normal occasions like birthdays and holidays, the LV is a great plane and I like getting them :) .

Jay

Scott Donley
04-30-2005, 2:59 PM
Got my LN low angle block a few weeks ago, love it ! Only problem is it is so nice just to look at , I hate getting it dusty. Something he would have for a lifetime.

Clay Craig
05-01-2005, 9:09 AM
Or, if you're not wed to the idea of a roughly-Stanley-shaped 'block plane,' and this is 'wonderful son makes Dad's dreams come true by graduating from engineering (no less!) school,' i.e. a true jewelry situation,

and you want to be SURE that generations to come will remember this plane as "the one that Great-Grampa Jake got, from his father Bob, when he became an engineer,"

and money is secondary, then there's any 'miter' plane from

http://www.andersonplanes.com/

and other purveyors - Sauer & Steiner, Shepherd, even Holtey etc.

Just to let you think of other possibilities - somehow a wood-infill feels like a 'presentation.'

And, I forgot to say - congratulations!

Clay