PDA

View Full Version : Filling voids on CDX?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-29-2005, 8:25 AM
Folks I need some advice. This weekend I should finish installing the last of the 1/2" CDX plywood on the walls of my new shop. Then the "fun" of mudding and taping the 5/8" sheetrock on the ceiling begins. Here's my question. What would you recommend that I fill the voids on the CDX with and should I tape the corners. Will normal wallboard compound and tape stick to plywood in the corners?

John Hart
04-29-2005, 8:54 AM
This might seem kinda stupid Ken, but it worked for me....I made my own plywood mud out of sawdust and woodglue. It's held up for 10 years so far without cracking. There's probably better ideas out there.

Peter Stahl
04-29-2005, 9:03 AM
The easiest would probably be car body filler like Bondo. Never had to fill any large voids like that. Used plastic wood for smaller ones. I've seen a wood filler that was used for large areas but don't remember what it was called.

Pete

Ken Garlock
04-29-2005, 10:46 AM
A few weeks ago as I was putting together the carcass of my version of "Norm's" shop hutch, I was faced with your problem on the 3/4" plywood under the Masonite top. I could have just ignored it, but instead I grabbed the can of Elmers paste wood filler. It did a wonderful job. It sets up in a couple hours and sands well with a palm sander. I will take longer than just using wall board joint compound, but it will certainly be a superior result. In your case, you can drill and screw through the filler should you happen to hit a spot with filler and still have good holding power; you can't say that about joint compound.

Bart Sharp
04-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Folks I need some advice. This weekend I should finish installing the last of the 1/2" CDX plywood on the walls of my new shop. Then the "fun" of mudding and taping the 5/8" sheetrock on the ceiling begins. Here's my question. What would you recommend that I fill the voids on the CDX with and should I tape the corners. Will normal wallboard compound and tape stick to plywood in the corners?

Either Bondo or wood filler would work for filling the voids. What's the idea behind taping the corners? Just for looks, I assume? What about just using a piece of molding instead, like a 3/4" cove? It would dress things up a lot faster than trying to mud, tape, and sand.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Bart....interesting alternative.....never even crossed my mind or if it did I've forgotten it already. Thanks!

Steve Jenkins
04-29-2005, 1:19 PM
Another alternative is "Durham's Rockhard Water Putty". Powder you mix with water and it sands well with minimal shrinkage. Kind of a light tan color when dry.

John Pollman
04-29-2005, 9:33 PM
Another alternative is "Durham's Rockhard Water Putty". Powder you mix with water and it sands well with minimal shrinkage. Kind of a light tan color when dry.

I second Steve's suggestion.

I use Durham's for LOTS of things. But on many occasions I've used it to fill in voids in plywood. I mix it up to a fairly stiff paste and use a putty knife to fill the holes. Scrape away the excess to make it fairly smooth and in no time it'll dry hard enough to sand and you're ready to go. That is some great stuff !