PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Dyed veneer of various thicknesses

Dan Hintz
01-09-2013, 1:29 PM
Can anyone suggest a good supplier of veneers in various thicknesses? I'm looking for black to start, but various other colors will eventually be desired. The wood species doesn't matter too much as I'm looking for the color accent, not the grain pattern. Size of the pieces can be large or small as I will be cutting off small pieces for use, and thicknesses should range from (for example) 1/32" to 1/8" (give or take).

Thanks!

Dan Bowman
01-09-2013, 1:40 PM
I'd try Herzog Veneer. Not sure about different thicknesses but they have a good selection of dyed veneer.

Dan Hintz
01-09-2013, 6:34 PM
Thanks, Dan, I'll give Ken a ping...

Mike Henderson
01-09-2013, 8:02 PM
If you find dyed veneer thicker than the standard 1/42", please post the source here. I'd like to find some of that, also.

Mike

Jason Coen
01-09-2013, 11:28 PM
If you find dyed veneer thicker than the standard 1/42", please post the source here. I'd like to find some of that, also.

Mike

Yes, double please.

Jamie Buxton
01-10-2013, 12:16 AM
I believe an issue with thicker dyed-through veneers is the problem of getting complete penetration of the dye into the thicker veneer. Why not glue up multiple layers of the usual 1/42" veneer? Use a vacuum press to squeeze the laminates together, so the glue line is thin everywhere.

Mike Henderson
01-10-2013, 12:37 AM
I believe an issue with thicker dyed-through veneers is the problem of getting complete penetration of the dye into the thicker veneer. Why not glue up multiple layers of the usual 1/42" veneer? Use a vacuum press to squeeze the laminates together, so the glue line is thin everywhere.
The problem with doing this is that the grain doesn't match up. If you use laminated veneer and sand through the first layer, you'll almost certainly get "witness lines" where you see the second layer. It's pretty obvious - unless you paint the final product:).

Even if you take sequential pieces and do your best to line up the grain you'll probably still see the witness lines. It's almost impossible to put the sequential pieces back together perfectly - and then there's still the glue between the pieces which gets wide when you sand through the first layer. Glue lines aren't too obvious when you view them edge on, but when seen from the top (sanded off) they're pretty big.

Mike

richard poitras
01-10-2013, 6:19 AM
Here is one B & B hardwood
http://www.wood-veneers.com/veneer_dyed_chart.html

Dan Hintz
01-10-2013, 6:52 PM
Sorry, guys, maybe I should have been more specific in my use case, and maybe veneer isn't the correct word to use here. I'd like to add some colored segments to a few pens, bottle stoppers, etc., so the pieces will range from thin (e.g., 1/64") to thick (e.g., 1/8").

Richard Coers
01-10-2013, 10:20 PM
A lot of pen turners use guitar pickguard material. It comes in solid color or laminated, and usually .06" or .09" thick. Here's one place to look. http://www.warmoth.com/

Larry Whitlow
01-10-2013, 10:35 PM
lmii.com has dyed fiber veneer at .08". Might work.

Dan Hintz
01-11-2013, 1:50 PM
A lot of pen turners use guitar pickguard material. It comes in solid color or laminated, and usually .06" or .09" thick. Here's one place to look. http://www.warmoth.com/
I'd like to stay with wood in most cases, but those might work better with the few acrylic blanks I use.

lmii.com has dyed fiber veneer at .08". Might work.
These look to be pretty good... the price isn't outrageous, and they have 30mil (1/32"), so that's a good starting point. It also looks like their 2nd grade stuff would work just fine as I don't need large areas. I'd love to find some 15-20mil, though, so if you come across that, let me know.