PDA

View Full Version : Like the Sunday paper, with coffee

Alan Turner
04-29-2005, 7:15 AM
My routine has me up and at'em far too early for most, but a cup of coffee, and the new posts on SMC -- like a lazy Sunday paper for the passionate woodworker, mostly without the bad news. And then to the shop, of course. A great way to start most days.

Thanks to all for the calm ritual. This is a very supportive and community minded group.

Tony Falotico
04-29-2005, 7:33 AM
Same here .... up early, coffee & SMC while LOML showers.... Than off to race the rats!

Frank Pellow
04-29-2005, 7:39 AM
It's similar for me, except that my early morning beverage choise is tea (brewed in a pot with loose tea from Darjeeling). Coffee comes along later in the day.

Ken Salisbury
04-29-2005, 7:41 AM
Up every morning NO LATER than 4:30 - multiple cups of caffine - Review ALL new posts - hoping not to have to edit any. (success this morning :) ) - So the day is starting off just fine.

John Hart
04-29-2005, 8:06 AM
Yep...me too...Up at six...turn on computer, make coffee...check email. I don't go to SMC til the coffee's done. I like to sip and read.

I got the day off today...so I'm doing my ritual late....aahhhh :)

Jim Becker
04-29-2005, 8:15 AM
Well, I was up uncharacteristically early this morning (7:30a)...have an 8am call. There have not been a huge number of posts since I signed off last night, but agree that I love starting my day here at SMC with my latté in-hand.

Mark Singer
04-29-2005, 8:25 AM
Alan,

Its 5:00 here....we are made from the same stuff......I just took a sip...;)

Jeff Sudmeier
04-29-2005, 8:31 AM
First 15 minutes of work is devoted to SMC! Starts the day off right!

Kent Parker
04-29-2005, 9:02 AM
Yep, up at 5:00 am to join the crew here on SMC. I start with tea while the Pavoni is heating up then hit high gear after the first brew. :D I've got it so bad that I come back for more at the end of the day.

Thanks to you all this has become a very nice part of the day and gets my motor running for the weekend plans while I create my ultimate woodshop.:)

KP

Jim Becker
04-29-2005, 9:05 AM
I start with tea while the Pavoni is heating up then hit high gear after the first brew.

I have the Andreja on a timer so it has the 30-35 minutes it needs to fully heat...no need for tea to get started!

larry merlau
04-29-2005, 9:17 AM
i too am up at 5 to 5:30 each work day and usually no later than 7 on wknds..each work day is started right here may not say much but i am here readin and learning and usually gettin a laugh to start each day,, its my only newspaper and it has all the right stuff,, thanks to all who contribute..

larry merlau
04-29-2005, 9:18 AM
hey jim, wont be long and your duties will be more intense in the daily routine,, but more enjoyable as well.. children are the richest assets we can have

Frank Pellow
04-29-2005, 9:23 AM
... children are the richest assets we can have
...and grandchildren

Tim Morton
04-30-2005, 6:45 AM
I'm ussually up before 6, and looking at the SMC new posts once I get the coffee on. Problem this morning is I got so wrapped up in prepping for putting together my new bandsaw that I forgot I was "out of coffee beans":mad: Now I have to wait till 7 when I can head out to buy some more. I can't STAND the coffee they sell at the convience stores, call me a coffee snob if you will, but I need good coffee.

John Hart
04-30-2005, 7:28 AM
...call me a coffee snob if you will, but I need good coffee.

Tim,
I am a MAJOR coffee snob! With all the stresses in life, I have to have my coffee perfect. Glad to hear I'm not the only whacko out there who has to have it Juuust right! :)

Jim Becker
04-30-2005, 9:11 AM
Tim and John, you are in a fine (and heavily populated) coffee snob-dom. I can't drink that dreck that most places serve, either. Lately I've been using beans from Pete's and have been pleased, but plan on trying some of the locally roasted stuff from up the street in Peddler's Village to see how it compares. I forgot about the place! We also have a small "home roaster" and it does make nice beans if one wants to take the time and the weather is nice enough to put the thing outside...the smell of roasting coffee isn't nearly as nice as the smell of roasted coffee!

Mark Singer
04-30-2005, 9:11 AM
Yeasterday I first sat down with SMC...no coffee.....then I made myself coffee and breakfast with coffee and the real newspaper...the coffee was great...it was ice coffee, I made on the Expresso machine....the paper wasn't nearly as much fun as SMC:rolleyes:

John Shuk
04-30-2005, 9:30 AM
You should see me snap peoples heads off when they offer to make the coffee at my house.

Tim Morton
04-30-2005, 9:46 AM
which leads me to think of the scene in "Pulp Fiction"...when they are cleaning up the car, and they start telling QT how great his coffee is, everytime someone tells me how good my coffee is I think of that scene and I want to go into the whole dialog...but I instead say thank-you and mutter something about how i really enjoy good coffee.:D. And totally off topic, but somewhat related....I dropped my daughter and friends off at the movies last night and with a couple hours to kill I went to the local fish-fry place and got a couple fish sandwich's and a shake and sat down to eat and started thinking about what a great weekend I had up coming with my BS project. I looked around at the rest of the folks and most of them looked bored, unhappy or generally discontended with life...maybe they all needed a good woodworking project (or something to excite them)...in general it seems that people are having less fun than in days past....sorry.....just the ramblings of a man enjoying his coffee while waiting for some wood filler to dry and thinking about how good life really is:cool: My wife even came down to see how it was going, and noticed a few "under the radoar" purchases and while she did comment on them, she said as long as it made me happy and she could get some things made whe had no problem with my buying myself some tools. I told her the BS was the last purchase, and similar to what Jim becker said to me...she rolled her eyes and walked away.

Jim Becker
04-30-2005, 10:21 AM
My wife even came down to see how it was going, and noticed a few "under the radoar" purchases and while she did comment on them, she said as long as it made me happy and she could get some things made whe had no problem with my buying myself some tools. I told her the BS was the last purchase, and similar to what Jim becker said to me...she rolled her eyes and walked away.

LOL! They know us too well...and we should be thankful that they also understand. Great story, Tim. Thanks!

Kent Parker
04-30-2005, 12:31 PM
A visit to Italy last year had me mesmerized by the quality of coffee. Once there you can never go back. For you coffee "snobs", ;) try some coffee made by "Lavazza", Torrefazione" or ever "Illy".

KP

Jim Becker
04-30-2005, 12:58 PM
A visit to Italy last year had me mesmerized by the quality of coffee. Once there you can never go back. For you coffee "snobs", ;) try some coffee made by "Lavazza", Torrefazione" or ever "Illy".

The folks I bought my machine from (Chris' Coffee Service in NY state) sell these coffees. The only reason I haven't bought is due to the fact I don't use more than a pound a month...

John Hart
04-30-2005, 2:22 PM
Kent,

As a self-proclaimed and undying coffee snob, I will accept the challenge to try these Itailian coffees. However, my personal taste has me lately locked in to "Rainforest" from Caribou Coffee. It's a great rich blend that they age for a couple of years in containers with Brazil nuts and pecans.

If you grind this stuff to an espresso grind, it makes a killer Iced Latte'. But my favorite way is hot, in a cup, on a quiet morning.

Doug Shepard
04-30-2005, 2:57 PM
The best coffee I ever had was some stuff my sister brought back from Jamaica a few years ago. She went down for a week with a church group and did sort of a Habitat-for-Humanity type project. The locals there gave her some home grown fresh ground coffee and fortunately for me, my sis isn't that much of a coffee drinker. Absolutely incredible tasting coffee. Strong but smooth at the same time, and awesome caffiene kick. One cup of that stuff and I was ready for anything.

Tim Morton
04-30-2005, 3:34 PM
The best coffee I ever had was some stuff my sister brought back from Jamaica a few years ago. She went down for a week with a church group and did sort of a Habitat-for-Humanity type project. The locals there gave her some home grown fresh ground coffee and fortunately for me, my sis isn't that much of a coffee drinker. Absolutely incredible tasting coffee. Strong but smooth at the same time, and awesome caffiene kick. One cup of that stuff and I was ready for anything.

we're talking about coffee still, right?:cool:

Doug Shepard
04-30-2005, 6:10 PM
we're talking about coffee still, right?:cool:

LOL - Yeah coffee. Sis wouldn't even know ganja from lawn clippings. She didn't bring anything home but coffee, T-shirts, and a cheap tourist steel-drum.

John Hart
05-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Here's a new coffee report....Flash! I went to Trader Joes to get some special things over the weekend and spotted their Kona whole bean and Kauai whole bean coffees. The Kona was twice the price of the Kauai and since I love Kona and they are only an island apart, I figured I would give it a try. Whoa! Was that goooood!

Kauai...good for life ;)

Donnie Raines
05-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Gosh...and I thought my palette's taste for white choclate/carmel moccha was sensative.... :cool: :D

Rob Russell
05-11-2005, 11:20 AM
It's similar for me, except that my early morning beverage choise is tea (brewed in a pot with loose tea from Darjeeling). Coffee comes along later in the day.

My mom used to start her day with Darjeeling. She always pronouced it dar-JELL-ing, don't know how you'd say it - dar-JELL-ing-eh? :D

Mark Singer
05-11-2005, 11:40 AM
John,

Did you ever try Chanushki....it is a wonderful coffee from Prague..;)

Kent,

As a self-proclaimed and undying coffee snob, I will accept the challenge to try these Itailian coffees. However, my personal taste has me lately locked in to "Rainforest" from Caribou Coffee. It's a great rich blend that they age for a couple of years in containers with Brazil nuts and pecans.

If you grind this stuff to an espresso grind, it makes a killer Iced Latte'. But my favorite way is hot, in a cup, on a quiet morning.

John Hart
05-11-2005, 11:59 AM
John,

Did you ever try Chanushki....it is a wonderful coffee from Prague..;)

Thanks Mark... I went to the Czech Republic Community Forum and asked where I could get some Chanushki. They banned me from the forum for life.

...But I'll keep hunting for it since you recommend it. Thanks again!:)

Mark Singer
05-11-2005, 12:08 PM
John ,

Sorry spelling...
http://www.thespicehouse.com/product/product_80.php

Al;so Grafeeos is great and we use it in the resturants...

http://www.graffeo.com/pages/content/about.htm

Thanks Mark... I went to the Czech Republic Community Forum and asked where I could get some Chanushki. They banned me from the forum for life.

...But I'll keep hunting for it since you recommend it. Thanks again!:)

John Hart
05-11-2005, 3:54 PM
Ok Mark..I went to that first site and it has the Charnushka but they treat it like some kind of poppy seed spice...so I don't know...hmmm. Now, the other site Graffeo looks like I can order whole beans from them and the prices look pretty good. They haven't inputted any descriptions yet, (kinda like they're redesigning or installing the website) Hmmm

Mark Singer
05-11-2005, 5:37 PM
Sorry,

I feel terrible...I always come up with dead end links and roads that lead nowhere....I still think you make a great dish of ice cream....imitayion Shlamaca or not...Graffeos is really great coffee....and it would begreat with the hagen Daz

Ok Mark..I went to that first site and it has the Charnushka but they treat it like some kind of poppy seed spice...so I don't know...hmmm. Now, the other site Graffeo looks like I can order whole beans from them and the prices look pretty good. They haven't inputted any descriptions yet, (kinda like they're redesigning or installing the website) Hmmm