PDA

View Full Version : Corel 'Weld' Question

Jeff Belany
01-09-2013, 11:29 AM
I know you guys out there are a whole lot smarter than I am. I'm guessing I'm missing something simple but can't put my finger on it. Here it is -- I'm trying to do some script that will act like a stencil font, i.e. the centers of the letters ( O D B etc.) won't fall out. First did it the old fashioned way--on 'Faith' I broke the letters apart and added nodes and made the gaps to hold the letter centers. Then I thought -- why not use the weld function so, on 'Hope & Love', I drew boxes across where I wanted the gaps and then welded the whole thing. Wow -- it looked perfect, just what I wanted and whole lot easier. Unfortunately -- when I laser the piece the spot where the welds are cut just like they weren't there, just like a unwelded font. What have I missed? Any ideas? BTW, I'm using X4 but saved as v10.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Chuck Stone
01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
couldn't open or import the cdr file, but the pdf looks like it's all going to
fall out. an easy way to check is to save it as a bitmap and bring it into
an editor. Click outside the letters with a 'bucket fill' tool and you'll see
what will connect and what won't. It looks like everything inside the
outline of your letters will be lost

Mike Null
01-09-2013, 12:15 PM
I think Chuck is seeing the same thing I see. Here's what I think you should do.

Jeff Belany
01-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I did try the white fill, no outline. As a matter of fact, that's what I tried first, before trying weld. Did the same thing -- the white did not stop the cut.

The thing that bothers me is that the welded letters look perfect. When you look at the nodes they look exactly like the one I did manually. I just hoped I missed something simple. I will try saving as a bitmap and try to fill. Unfortunately, that doesn't tell me why the 'weld' didn't work. I have welded things before, is there something about the font outlines that are diffferent than a box? One you break them apart you can edit them however you like as I have done in the past

Still stumped.

Jim Reinhard
01-09-2013, 12:37 PM
I think you need to use trim not weld

Jeff Belany
01-09-2013, 1:02 PM
Jim,

You're a genius!! It worked perfect. What I don't understand is why weld didn't work. I've used weld before in very similar situations and it always did the job. Must be something different about the fonts.

Thanks,

Mike Null
01-09-2013, 1:36 PM
Jim

Good catch.

I think weld worked as it was supposed to work.

Glen Monaghan
01-09-2013, 2:51 PM
Weld was sort of the opposite of what you wanted. You wanted to remove the engraving across the letters on opposite sides of the centers but weld just added a bar across those centers, making two cutouts rather than one one each. When you drew the thin box across the letters, you could have selected the text and thin box, then clicked "back minus front" and hey presto!

-Glen

Jim Reinhard
01-09-2013, 3:09 PM
[QUOTE=Glen Monaghan;2035067]Weld was sort of the opposite of what you wanted. You wanted to remove the engraving across the letters on opposite sides of the centers but weld just added a bar across those centers, making two cutouts rather than one one each. When you drew the thin box across the letters, you could have selected the text and thin box, then clicked "back minus front" and hey presto!

-Glen
Knew there was another way but couldnt think of it .Its Good one to remember.Thanks Glen