PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Jorgenson Cabinet Master clamps sticking

Rob Ring
01-09-2013, 12:31 AM
I recall seeing posts in the past about a design flaw with the first edition Jorgy parallel clamps which caused them to sometimes become stuck in the closed position. I run into that problem often, usually in the middle of a glue up. IIRC there was a simple fix available through Jorgy's parent company, but I can't find any posts providing the appropriate contact info. I've found one reference to "Scott at the Adjustable Clamp Company" but no way to reach him. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Rob

Dan Rude
01-09-2013, 12:47 AM
http://www.adjustableclamp.com (http://www.adjustableclamp.com/)
Jim Luley
Customer Service
jluley@adjustableclamp.com

Dan

Ben Martin
01-09-2013, 4:26 PM
Rob,

Let me know what you find out, all of mine do that as well...

Ben

Tom Ewell
01-09-2013, 5:10 PM
It's been a while but I think the Jorgy had a few burrs worked up on the bar that needed to be filed down to get it working.

Rob Ring
01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks, Dan. I'll contact Jim and report back for any others with the same problem.

George Bokros
01-10-2013, 8:15 AM
I contacted them and they agreed to send me replacement parts, new heads I think, to permanently fix the problem. They tried to tell me to tap the handle towards the bar and it will free the clamp. I told them I do not have that problem with my Besseys then they said they would ship me replacement parts. We will see since I need parts for four clamps.

They say they replaced the aluminum parts with cast iron so we will see how heavy they make the clamps which are already heavier than my Besseys.

This thread made me contact them since I was not aware of a design change.

George

Joe Scharle
01-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I have some just gathering dust!

Steve Baumgartner
01-14-2013, 11:13 AM
I contacted them and they agreed to send me replacement parts, new heads I think, to permanently fix the problem. They tried to tell me to tap the handle towards the bar and it will free the clamp. I told them I do not have that problem with my Besseys then they said they would ship me replacement parts. We will see since I need parts for four clamps.

They say they replaced the aluminum parts with cast iron so we will see how heavy they make the clamps which are already heavier than my Besseys.

This thread made me contact them since I was not aware of a design change.

George

The aluminum jaw on mine broke, and I contacted customer service. They were very good about standing behind their product and sending me a free replacement head. They told me that they have switched from cast aluminum to iron because the aluminum too frequently had internal flaws that led to breakage. The bars are heavy enough that I haven't noticed extra weight from the iron jaw.

Regarding the jamming, it occurs when the inner part of the moveable head gets cocked against the bar, which happens almost every time you let the moveable head slam shut (i.e., every time you pick it up without holding the jaw from sliding!). My Besseys will also do this, but less frequently. If you can back off the screw so that the inner part pivots, and then push the handle towards the bar, you can usually get it unstuck. But if the screw was turned too far before the jam, you can't back it off enough!

I believe they now have an optional shim that goes around the bar between the parts of the moveable head that keeps the inner part from cocking so far. It's just a rectangle with a hole through it for the bar, and you just slip it over the bar between the innards of the moveable head as you slide it onto the bar. You could easily make one yourself from a bit of plastic or metal.

Steve

George Bokros
01-15-2013, 3:57 PM
Received my replacement clamp heads today. I have not used them yet but service was quick.

Frank Aaberg
02-04-2013, 9:19 PM
George, what exactly do they send you? Is it the whole head or a shim?

George Bokros
02-04-2013, 10:51 PM
I received four complete heads for my four clamps.

Frank Aaberg
02-12-2013, 9:37 PM
I don't want to tell you how many I have that need replacing!

Frank Aaberg
02-14-2013, 5:01 PM
Just spoke with Jim (aka Clamp Man) at Adjustable Clamp Co. He will be sending out replacement parts to fix the ongoing problem. Great customer service experience from this company!