PDA

View Full Version : Obscure plane

Steve Barksdale
01-08-2013, 11:33 PM
I have an old, no idea how old, wooden plane. The only marking is on the iron where someone stamped, “Hancock Tools Extra Steel.” The body is all wood with no markings of any kind, just under 25” long and 3 1’2” wide. It has the typical handsaw type handle in back with a large knob up front. The front is twice as tall as the back so it’s really well balanced. Everything is in pretty good condition. The iron still has a decent, but not award winning edge. The wedge appears original. The sole has a few nicks and gouges but is still as true as can be, for a chunk of wood.

It doesn’t have much monetary value. I gave a junk, I mean antique dealer 30 bucks for it 15 years ago and it’s sat on my bookcase ever since so there’s no family history or anything like that attached. It’s just a basic tool some obscure guy a hundred years ago used to make a living. But it survived. And it has character. The only damage is from use.

I’m in the, “Do No Harm,” camp with antiques. No sanding, no filling no refinishing, nor paint. A little mild soap and water concoction to take away the years of grime and that’s it. As an example, Mr. Obscure Carpenter a long time ago zinged, cross grain on the top of his plane with his back saw. I can see it plain as day. A battle scar and it stays no matter what. That’s my opinion.

So here’s the dilemma I’d like some help with: I have this sudden urge to use the doggone thing, should I?

I’d have to put a new edge on it, a direct violation of, “Do No Harm”. If it’s out there on my workbench I’ll zing it myself, guaranteed, another violation. And am I kidding myself thinking I can go down to the local big box DIY store, buy scraps on the cheap, and teach myself how to use this thing?

The fate of this obscure plane is in your hands.

BTW, new to the forum and love the posts.

Mark Kornell
01-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Ok, it's a razee jointer. If you don't think it has any collectible value then flatten the sole, sharpen the iron and use it! And, pictures would be nice. Preferably with shavings involved. :-)

I've made myself a nice collection of woodies, purely for the purposes of using them. I hope that, 100 years from now someone, somewhere is still using them.

Brian Kent
01-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Absolutely use it.

That is what it was built for. Definitely sharpen the blade, because that's what the blade was built for. It is totally up to personal taste how much you want to clean it, sand it, or refinish it. Either way, you are honoring an old tool. But yes, stick it on your workbench and put your own accidental dents on it. Then you will be another "obscure carpenter" who adds to its history. One big variable is how flat the sole is. It doesn't have to be perfect, but too much warp will keep it from working. Put it on a totally flat surface and see where there are spaces. A lot of skilled people here can fill you in on where to flatten and where to not worry about that.

Welcome to the Creek - and we LOVE pictures.

Just curious - how wide is the blade?

Jim Koepke
01-09-2013, 2:06 AM
Steve,

Welcome to the Creek. You don't have your location in your profile. You may live close to a member who would be happy to help you with your plane.

Beware, making shavings can be mesmerizing and addictive.

It doesn’t have much monetary value. I gave a junk, I mean antique dealer 30 bucks for it 15 years ago and it’s sat on my bookcase ever since so there’s no family history or anything like that attached. It’s just a basic tool some obscure guy a hundred years ago used to make a living. But it survived. And it has character. The only damage is from use.

Only a few of my tools have family history. Someday the ones that don't may have a family history starting with me.

At just under 25" it sounds like you have yourself a jointer.

If you get too used to wooden bodied planes, metallic planes may feel somewhat strange to you. The feel of the feedback is different.

jtk

Zach Dillinger
01-09-2013, 9:04 AM
I'm a wooden plane user. Used to be exclusive, but Lee Richmond sold me on the joys of infill planes, so I've been cheating a bit on my wood planes with a Scottish jointer, panel plane and smoother (don't tell the woodies!). I wouldn't go back to Stanley type planes for anything. Give it a try.

As for "do no harm", this plane is almost certainly of little value. There were literally millions of wooden bench planes made in America in the late 19th century. Only a select few have any real value, outside of the value they offer you in your shop. Don't strip the darn thing, but sharpening the plane isn't harming it. Waxing the plane with paste wax (the best way to clean and preserve wooden planes, in my opinion) isn't harming it. Sharpen, clean and use it. Report back.

george wilson
01-09-2013, 9:22 AM
Razee planes were a cut down type of plane originally developed for manual training of boys. It made the plane easier for them to handle.

A razee is also a war ship(sailing type) whose upper deck has been taken off due to handling problems(top heavy),damage to upper deck and other causes. The name was applied to the much later razee plane. Charles I ship the Soverign of the seas was so top heavy(top hamper) it had to be cut down. His head was cut down,too. At the time,it was the most expensive ship ever made,but was just too elaborate to handle well. Glittered with gold. I think I recall the French called that ship "The Golden devil".
Among other things,England had gotten very tired of his excessive spending.

Steve Barksdale
01-09-2013, 1:17 PM
Thanks for all the great info. I'll give this thing a try and get back with some pictures.

Steve B

Jason Coen
01-09-2013, 1:29 PM
Among other things,England had gotten very tired of his excessive spending.

Ah, the good old days. :cool: