PDA

View Full Version : Need help from Dan Hintz......

Steve Clarkson
01-08-2013, 3:42 PM
Dan,

Can you tell me how to modify my laser so it can be a "lightening gun" like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18630622

If anyone can figure out how to do it, I'm sure you can!!!

Anthony Scira
01-08-2013, 4:23 PM
I think that is one of those improperly grounded Chinese models.

Martin Boekers
01-08-2013, 4:33 PM
Steve we'll have to check your security clearance on this....... :)

Jiten Patel
01-08-2013, 4:34 PM
ahaha love this - Steve, think you will need an upgrade on the 45w though....MORE POWERRRRRR!

Walt Langhans
01-08-2013, 4:36 PM
From what I understand this is what happens when you hook up the flux capacitor and reverse the polarity!

Michael Hunter
01-08-2013, 5:47 PM
That lightning gun is just showy.

Also on the BBC news website is a German-made laser capable of cutting 15mm steel girders a kilometre away (and knocking drone planes out of the sky).

Kind of puts the NOT cutting metal with a Chinese 120W machine into perspective - just add another 49,880 Watts and it should cut just about anything.

Phil Thien
01-08-2013, 7:03 PM
The particle beam is where it is at.

I remember when I was a kid (35 years ago) watching, at a friend's house, a show on futuristic military weaponry on PBS. One of the devices was a particle beam. They had a company that was making them small enough to put on Satellites.

They could blow a perfect, quarter-sized hole through a plate of steel an inch thick in 1/1000 (or less) of a second.

I told someone that about the show about ten years 15 years ago. They doubted me. We "googled" it (did we use google, cannot remember). A company had listed all their achievements for putting particle beams on satellites.

That is where we were 35 years ago.

Can you imagine the stuff they have today, that they don't even tell is about?

Dan Hintz
01-09-2013, 6:34 AM
Some good chuckle-inducing comments in this thread ;)

Just like the researchers at UofF use ultra-think drag lines behind model rockets to induce a lightning strike for their research, this is essentially the same thing. Instead of the wire providing the initial path, the laser creates a path of plasma. Very cool idea, and something I had not seen before. Thanks for posting, Steve :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go charge up my 500MFarad capacitor bank to get my laser warmed up.