PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Sliding Compound Miter Saws

Rich Riddle
01-08-2013, 2:57 PM
I am reading about Bosch sliding compound miter saws and noticed that a couple of the new models don't have lasers. As a matter of fact, one newer model without a laser replaced a former model with the laser. Are manufacturers getting away from lasers?

Steve Rozmiarek
01-08-2013, 8:25 PM
I personally would't be sad to see the fad die. The ones I've used are so imprecise that I don't even look anymore.

Dick Mahany
01-08-2013, 9:19 PM
I have a Bosch 4410. If you like working in the dark, maybe the laser is okay. On mine, I couldn't see it in the day light, and it wasn't very precise. My batteries died long ago and I'll never miss it.

Jim Fay
01-08-2013, 9:46 PM
I have the Bosch 4410 as well and I never bother with the laser. I too find it too imprecise.
Jim

Mike Heidrick
01-09-2013, 1:07 AM
Dewalt has an LED shining over the blade. The light casts a shadow line is EXACTY where the blade will cut - down to the tooth. Best idea I have seen on a CMS/SCMS.

Rich Riddle
01-09-2013, 6:29 AM
Dick and Jim,

How do you like your 4410? I am thinking of changing from a Makita 1013L so the saw of choice will sit better on the Bosch saw stand. The Makita laser isn't precise either by the way although it is adjustable. It's also hard to see in the daylight. I was hoping the Bosch would be better in that regard. The only one I know is good in that way is the Kapex.

Bernie Kopfer
01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
I have a older Delta chopsaw and the best feature on it is the double laser. It is so nice to lay the tape down on a piece of wood and the double lines show me exactly where it will be cutting. I noticed that the top line Bosch saw, the one with the glide system does not have lasers. That is probably the main reason I am not going to buy that saw. I love the way lasers make work faster and safer and do hope that manufacturers will not stop putting them on their saws. And on a drillpress lasers are absolutely awesome and make the work go so much faster. Just my opinion.

Kerry Wright
01-09-2013, 1:57 PM
I've had my 4410L for five years. Bought it to use while building my shop. I ran through all the initial settings (most were spot on right out of the box) and went to town. This saw has seen thousands of cuts, been moved around a lot during the build and I only had to touch up the alignment once. The laser has been dead on from day one. Now it's a permanent fixture in my shop and most likely will never be replaced. I love it!

Jim Fay
01-09-2013, 3:29 PM
I absolutely love mine!! What a terrific machine. Settings were dead on out of the box. I just finished a baseboard project at the house and it once again made beautiful cuts. Saw makes it very easy to get in between the standard angles. Good machine for sure.
Jim

Dick Mahany
01-09-2013, 7:15 PM
Dick and Jim,

How do you like your 4410? I am thinking of changing from a Makita 1013L so the saw of choice will sit better on the Bosch saw stand. The Makita laser isn't precise either by the way although it is adjustable. It's also hard to see in the daylight. I was hoping the Bosch would be better in that regard. The only one I know is good in that way is the Kapex.

I wouldn't trade mine (except for one of those new snazzy Bosch gliders :cool: ) The saw is very well built, solid and repeatable. I really like the up front adjustments and it has served me well. I have heard that SCMS are not as accurate as the non-sliders, but so far I have never been disappointed with mine.

Rich Riddle
01-09-2013, 7:20 PM
I wouldn't trade mine (except for one of new snazzy Bosch gliders :cool: ) The saw is very well biult, solid and repeatable. I really like the up front adjustments and it has served me well. I have heard that SCMS are not as accurate as the non-sliders, but so far I have never been disappointed with mine.
I thought those gliders had very bad reviews, at least they did when they first arrived to the scene.

Rich Riddle
01-09-2013, 7:23 PM
I absolutely love mine!! What a terrific machine. Settings were dead on out of the box. I just finished a baseboard project at the house and it once again made beautiful cuts. Saw makes it very easy to get in between the standard angles. Good machine for sure.
Jim
Well there is nothing "wrong" with my Makita, but it sits a bit "off" on the Bosch gravity stand. The stand was designed for a Bosch and it seems the extension wings are better designed to sit well with a Bosch. I am looking forward to seeing what discounts Bosch offers at the trade show next weekend in Indianapolis. Who knows, a 4410 might find it's way in the back of my truck.

Jim Stewart
01-09-2013, 8:28 PM
I have a glider and I like it. It seems to be very accurate although I use it for 90 degree cut-offs only. It has no laser. I don't know if one is available. I tend to use a knife mark and just set the saw teeth to that mark before I power up and cut.

Dick Mahany
01-09-2013, 9:33 PM
Forgot to mention, my 4410 is mounted on a Bosch gravity rise stand. For me, it doesn't get any better. They really thought that one through and executed the design beautifully.

For the record, I don't buy tools for their color or from any one manufacturer for that matter, but they got this one right IMHO.

Rich Riddle
01-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Forgot to mention, my 4410 is mounted on a Bosch gravity rise stand. For me, it doesn't get any better. They really thought that one through and executed the design beautifully.

For the record, I don't buy tools for their color or from any one manufacturer for that matter, but they got this one right IMHO.
Thank you for the update about how it works on the gravity stand. That's one of my biggest irritations with the Makita. A woodworker indicated he modified his gravity stand with longer supports for the wood, but that has it's own issues.

I don't purchase simply for the name but do seem to own lots of Bosch tools. I do avoid some tools for their namesake. I have a couple of pricey green tools but can't swallow a pill for $1350 for their saw. There are certainly those who like that company though and adamantly defend them and anything they produce or dictate as a company.

Curt Harms
01-11-2013, 9:13 AM
I have a Bosch 4410. If you like working in the dark, maybe the laser is okay. On mine, I couldn't see it in the day light, and it wasn't very precise. My batteries died long ago and I'll never miss it.

But that is where they 'shine' (sorry:D). I have the Delta dual laser saw and have the lasers adjusted so the edge of the laser line is the edge of the kerf. They don't work well in bright light where I can see any line just fine but do work well in poorly lit conditions where I can't see the line as well. I've never used or seen the DeWalt LED setup but those that have used it speak highly of it.

scott vroom
01-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Bosch 5312 here...no laser. Had one on my last saw and don't miss it....I only used for rough alignment and always touched blade to pencil mark...old school.

Jim Neeley
01-11-2013, 12:43 PM
+1 on the blade to pencil mark. Bosch does make a laser for the glider (I have one) that replaces the outside blade stabilizer. I use it for rough alignment only, although I can pretty well eye the offset. Would I buy the laser again? I think so.

Love the glider!!

As for dead-nuts accuracy, if that's the requirement, use a hand plane and a shooting board. Nothing else I'm aware of lets you sneak up on the fit 0.001 at a time for the $$$.

Rich Riddle
01-11-2013, 1:24 PM
Jim, I am not quite to the point where I need a thousandth of an inch accuracy but will remember your advice. The folks at Lie Neilson were showing how to use a shooting board at one of the last shows.