PDA

View Full Version : How do I do this?

jim hollenback
01-08-2013, 2:49 PM
Newbie alert --
Saw this pipe clamp storage, think it is kind of neat, but how do I make those angled dados?

Prashun Patel
01-08-2013, 3:06 PM
On a 2x4 I find the easiest way is to tilt the bevel on your table saw and use a crosscutting sled with stops to cut the ends of the dado. Then cut away at the center with successive passes. Finally clean up with a chisel.

I know that sounds like a lot of effort, but on construction lumber the chopping goes quickly. In fact, I use a hammer to knock the 1/16-1/18 fingers that are left from the cut. A chisel makes quick work of the final cleanup.

To be fair, the dados, while nice to have, are not really necessary for this type of joint if you are willing to use screws. If you wanted an all-wood solution, you would actually have more stability by cutting straight dado slots in the perpendicular members and gluing a solid triangle plywood gussett in the recess.

John TenEyck
01-08-2013, 3:06 PM
The easiest option is to just tip the blade on your TS to the required angle and take multiple passes until your angled piece fits into the dado. You can clean up the bottom of the dado with a chisel if you want, or just leave it as is.

John

Erik Christensen
01-08-2013, 4:23 PM
one of those not often tasks where a RAS really works well - do all my big dado's and 1/2 lap joints now on the RAS with a dado blade