PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 48 knob interchangeability

linke combs
01-08-2013, 12:33 PM
I recently acquired a Stanley 48 match plane and it is in need of a new knob. The old one is simply beyond saving (really not sure what could have happened there.) Is this knob unique to the plane or is it a standard size? The one on the plane is missing a fair amount of the bottom half inch.

Thanks in advance,

lcombs

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-08-2013, 12:42 PM
I've no idea, but do you have other Stanley style bench planes handy to try the front knob from?

I'm sure anyone decent at lathe-work, given the appropriate dimensions, could fabricate a knob for you, whether it's another Creeker or someone like Bill Rittner (or another after-market knob maker, he's just the first that comes to mind)

Is there anything wacky about that knob, (like is the wood threaded) or is it held in place by the standard threaded-rod-nut attachment like a standard bench plane knob? I thought it was the latter.

Joe Bailey
01-08-2013, 1:58 PM
Here's one currently available on that big auction site:
item 181051285473

Greg Wease
01-08-2013, 2:10 PM
The knob is "standard", about the same size as the one on a #2 and attaches with a #12-20 rod and nut. The base needs to be narrow enough to clear the pin that releases the swing arm. I picked up a #48 recently that has a knob with a small flat filed on the side to increase clearance with that pin. That might work for you as well.