PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt Lunchbox Upgrade to Shelix or get new planer?

Jim German
01-08-2013, 11:34 AM
I've got a Dewalt DW 734 lunchbox type planer that overall I've been very happy with. However its time to get new blades for it and I'm contemplating getting a Shelix head for $450 instead. Of course at that point I've got a $900 lunchbox planer, and was thinking I might be better off just selling it and getting something like a grizzly G0453PX.

Anyone have anythoughts? Is it worth putting a head that costs more than the planer in it?

johnny means
01-08-2013, 11:50 AM
For a fraction of that you can just keep a fresh set of knives installed for years. I don't see the benefit.

Clay Fails
01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
I used a DW 735 for about 3 years and was considering the same options as you. The 735 is a very good planer, i was just looking for something bigger and I wanted to try the helical cutter heads. I decided to sell the 735 and purchase the PM 15HH with the Byrd head. I'm very pleased with the PM 15HH. I think you would be better served to purchase a different planer than to put that much money into the 735. Just my thoughts................

glenn bradley
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
I had a DW734 and was also very happy with it. When the time came I looked at adding a spiral to what had been a very nice little planer. With input from many others here and on other forums I took the leap to a full sized machine. Things I experienced:
- A floor standing machine is not a finish planer; you do not get the near finish-ready surfaces you are used to with those rubber rollers.
- Careful adjustment of the bed and feed rollers can minimize the presence of feed roller marks.
- The ever-present 15" model that comes in many colors really doesn't take up much more room than a lunchbox.
- My dust collector was not up to the task so I piped in more duct from my cyclone that serves another area; result are good.
- My 3HP spiral head machine is so much quieter than the Universal motor in my lunchbox.
In the end I am very happy with the choice to go to a full sized (although still smaller than many) machine.

Clay Fails
01-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Glenn, I echo your comments. My experience is pretty much the same, although i must say the byrd cutters do leave a very smooth finish. My chief complaint right now is fighting snipe....I had it pretty well controlled on the 735, but am still trying to find the right combination of adjustments on the PM 15HH.

Wade Lippman
01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
FWIW I had a 735 because I didn't have room for a 15". I moved, sold the 735, and my 15" was delivered yesterday.

If you get $250 for the 734 and buy a 15" for $1,600 you will be out of pocket $1,350. If you can afford it, is seems like a no-brainer. If you can't, I would stick with the 734 as it is. Spending $450 to upgrade a lunchbox just doesn't make sense to me.

Darius Ferlas
01-08-2013, 12:50 PM
I don't have a shellix but I'm surprised about the generalization regarding the finish quality and snipe of floor standing machines.
My 12" Hammer combo certainly gives me finish quality, and after switching to it from a Ridgid lunchbox I forgot what snipe was. I used to always leave 2.5" on each end of the board for snipe. Right now I dimension the pieces with no more than 1/2 margin of error.

Jim German
01-08-2013, 1:02 PM
I too am surprised to hear about snipe on a floor standing planer, I was under the impression that was something that mostly happened on benchtop planers (although I don't have that problem with my 734)

Victor Robinson
01-08-2013, 1:37 PM
Been wrestling with the same decision, Jim.

Could someone with a G0453 post footprint dimensions? Glenn ol' buddy ol' pal?
EDIT: Nevermind, found it on the spec sheet: 22.5" x 22". Could any owners note if the "real world" footprint differs significantly? Thanks.

Jeff Monson
01-08-2013, 4:06 PM
The bryd head is a nice upgrade to a Dewalt planer, however you are thinking smart on getting too much invested. I traveled that road a few years ago.... now I have a stationary planer. If you are really happy with a lunchbox planer and plan to keep it forever, then get a bryd head. If you have thoughts of upgrading to a stationary planer then save the money and put it towards a new machine.

Alan Bienlein
01-08-2013, 4:47 PM
Been wrestling with the same decision, Jim.

Could someone with a G0453 post footprint dimensions? Glenn ol' buddy ol' pal?
EDIT: Nevermind, found it on the spec sheet: 22.5" x 22". Could any owners note if the "real world" footprint differs significantly? Thanks.

Copy and pasted direct from Grizzly page on G0453 specs. Overall dimensions: 42"L x 32-1/2"W x 45-7/8"H

Alan Bienlein
01-08-2013, 4:50 PM
For me personally I got my Ridgid TP1300 planer for free so it was a no brainer as far as getting a helical head for it. I went with the Accu-head for $250 and can now run wood panels like this thru my planer.

Joe Spear
01-08-2013, 5:12 PM
I had a DeWalt 735. After a year, when the original blades dulled, I got a Shelix head and installed it. It did a good job for another year. Then the drive belt shredded. I got another installed, and it shredded after planing just a few boards. The third belt did the same thing. It seemed that the cutter head shaft was loose and moving a little back and forth sideways. The movement seemed to be what was causing the belt to disintegrate. The problem may have been related to the Shelix replacement head--or maybe not. At that point I sold the planer and the original cutter head on craigslist for $200 (with full disclosure of the problem) to somebody who wanted to see what he could do with it. Then I bought a steel City 14" with a helical head (steel inserts, not carbide). It works fine. Knowing what I know now, I would not have bothered with changing to a Shelix on the DeWalt. I would have kept the DeWalt with the three-blade head or sold the it and gotten a planer with the helical head already on it. Wait. I did that, but too late.

glenn bradley
01-08-2013, 5:28 PM
Copy and pasted direct from Grizzly page on G0453 specs. Overall dimensions: 42"L x 32-1/2"W x 45-7/8"H

Thanks Alan. I was off wool-gathering. The 22 x 22 figure does not take the tables into account. Alan's figures sound more like it but, it is not a block that size, it is a 22" footprint with tables that stick out. It is amazing how easily something this heavy moves around on the built in base. I move it around the shop without even thinking about it. I have lighter machines that are a pain to move ;-)

Andrew Hughes
01-08-2013, 5:33 PM
Hi clay,I also have the pm HHS ,my planer sniped pretty bad what I did to help was set the feed rollers to .18 the manual say .20 I may even try a little less when I get time between jobs.
I do still have my Dewat 735 with carbide knive from infinity and my cleaver sharpening jig.It does a nice job on small stuff.Hope this helps ya.

Matt Day
01-08-2013, 6:03 PM
Jim,

I have a 734 and recently got a 15" 4 poster. I had to completely take it apart and clean some surface rust, but I enjoyed learning about the machine and making it a smooth working machine, and the rust is why I got it for $375. I need to sharpen my knives (have a Makita 9820-2 coming my way! gloat) but after I get them resharpened I have a lot of planing to do and I'll hopefully get it adjusted and remove any snipe and roller marks. I did read about replacing the metal rollers with rubber ones from a Delta, which I'm interested in and need to research more and price.

I would not put a shelix/helical on a 734. I don't think the machine is worth the upgrade - I've had mine for a long time and have run hundreds (thousands?) of bdft through it and the locking head is not so locking anymore. (For details see: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?165627-DW734-locking-head-problem) While I took the time and spent the money to fix that problem, I wouldn't put the money into it. I will likely keep it around for a while longer until I get settled into my 4 poster, but might sell it after that.

Clay Fails
01-08-2013, 6:52 PM
Thanks for the tip Andrew. I will see if that helps. Not more than an hour ago I ran a couple boards through trying to hold the boards up on infeed and outfeed. Seemed to work, less snipe.

James White
01-08-2013, 9:34 PM
The bryd head is a nice upgrade to a Dewalt planer, however you are thinking smart on getting too much invested. I traveled that road a few years ago.... now I have a stationary planer. If you are really happy with a lunchbox planer and plan to keep it forever, then get a bryd head. If you have thoughts of upgrading to a stationary planer then save the money and put it towards a new machine.

This would be my advise as well. I had the 735 with Shelex head and it was pretty good. But a bit underpowered for it. You lose some depth of cut. I also had the motor fry on mine. I am not sure if it had anything to do with the Shelix. I wound up selling it after the motor was replaced. Simply because I know I will be planing a lot of material and I was better off upgrading my Woodmaster 25" with a carbide head. $1500 or there about. But it was well worth it.

Joe Angrisani
01-08-2013, 9:54 PM
.....Anyone have anythoughts?

As an alternative to the new head in your DeWalt or a floor standing machine, you might consider a Steel City lunchbox. While not a true Shelix, I have been VERY HAPPY with my Steel City. I purchased an early generation with the four-sided cutters, and can recommend it strongly. I'm still on edge #1, and there's no sign of tracking or grooving. I paid $300 used, so you could easily sell the "knife" DeWalt and move into the "cutterhead" Steel City for close to $0.00.

Bruce Wrenn
01-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Craigs List will get you a used 15" four post for less than $600. It takes time though. If you get a "motor on the bottom" machine, it's a simple matter to make a platform for the 734 to rest on top. Then you have the best of both worlds. I have a 15" Delta and 13" Rockwell. but my old (very old) Delta 22-540 deliveries a heck of a lot better finish.

David Kumm
01-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Are you close to the Delta in the classifieds? Delta planers are great candidates for a byrd. Dave

Jerry Wright
01-08-2013, 11:30 PM
My local Lowes carries replacement knives for the DW 734 and 735 at about $35. Unless you need additional power or throughput speed of a larger machine , keep the lunchbox and replace knives. I don't believe I would spend the dollars for a bird or shellix head in a $600 machine. While noisy and a bit slow, the 735 gives a wonderful surface. I am not a production shop, however.

Dan Rude
01-09-2013, 12:34 AM
An alternative is http://www.accu-head.com/#!products. I've thought about this for my budget and expense. For about $250 I could try it or put it toward a new planner instead, but I already have the Lunch Box Dewalt 732.:rolleyes:
Dan

Jim German
01-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Seems like the consenus is that its a poor idea to drop that much money into such an inexpensive planer. Now I just have to figure out if I have enough room for a floor standing job. Suppose I could just get one of them fancy Hammer combo machines!

Jeff Monson
01-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Suppose I could just get one of them fancy Hammer combo machines!

For space savings and machine quality, you cant go wrong with a A3-31! That would be the last jointer and planer you would have to buy.