PDA

View Full Version : DVR rotary switch

Brian Schumacher
01-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Good Morning, This is my very first post of any kind. IHave a Nova dvr xp and would like to know if anyone has come up with a rotatry switch for the speed control? I have looked ( I think ) in the search area but got lost or did not know how to precisely ask or input my question. Hope this is the correct way to post.
Thank you inadvance
Brian S

Brian Brightwell
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Sorry Brian, but I don't know what a "Nova dvr xp" is ?

Brian Schumacher
01-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Good Morning Brian; the Nova DVR XP is a 16 in swing woodturning lathe with electronic controlls. In order to chance speeds of the motor I have to either manuelly press the up or down button to make the motor run faster or slower, or go to the preprogrammable mode to change to preselected speeds.I am looking for a way to use a rotory switch to do the same thing like the Powermatic 3520 used,which is also a wood lahte.
Thanks for the reply
Brian S

Michael Mills
01-08-2013, 12:00 PM
I don't know if this will work for you but you would have "remote" at the tailstock also.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/lathe_accessories/Remote/NOVA_Remote.htm

Ron Radliff
01-08-2013, 12:22 PM
I have a DVR XP and have to agree with you, a rotary dial would be a nice touch for changing speeds. So far, I haven't found anything like that.

Ralph Lindberg
01-08-2013, 12:36 PM
It would require some extensive electronics. A rotary digital-optical switch would probably be the easiest to add, but even that would require enough support electronics that if you have to ask, you lack the knowledge on how to do it. How the current system works is the up/down buttons send a pulse to the electronics changing the RPMs by 5.
Personally I find the 5 speed memories to be generally enough (note, some older DVRs don't support this option). I have one set for 250 (sanding), the default 500, then 750, 1050 and 1750. If I need to adjust speed more then this, I use the up/down buttons. My speed selections are based on the fact that I do most of the small spindle work on the Jet 12-20vs

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Brian - Welcome to the Creek!

Just my opinion, but I don't know if you can use a rotary switch with your lathe. I believe that the touch pads you use to increase the speed do so by providing a pulse to a logic circuit. Rotary switches (a potentiometer) vary the voltage or current provided to a circuit that then controls the speed of the motor.

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2013, 5:08 PM
I have a DVR XP and Steve is right. I asked and Teknatool said no.

Joe Bradshaw
01-08-2013, 10:45 PM
While we are on the subject of Nova DVRs, does anyone know what size bolts are used to bolt on the bed extension? My girlfriend has a DVR and I am building her a swing away for her tailstock. Thanks in advance.

George Heatherly
01-09-2013, 1:38 AM
While we are on the subject of Nova DVRs, does anyone know what size bolts are used to bolt on the bed extension? My girlfriend has a DVR and I am building her a swing away for her tailstock. Thanks in advance.

M12 X 35 Cap screws

Jerry Marcantel
01-09-2013, 8:21 AM
If you live in a town large enough to have a large electronics store, take all your schematics that were supplied with your lathe, and see if any of the gurus can find a solution to your query. All motors do the same exact thing. They react to electricity. If something can be bypassed, and work like you want it, these guys should be able to read the schematic and choose the parts for you. The dealer won't really tell you how because they want you to buy their parts...... This is my opinion only from experience with other tools and not meant to be a guide...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Darryl Hansen
01-09-2013, 8:39 AM
Joe there is a really good swing away attachment already available. Do not use the Nova swing away it is only to swing an extension back not the tailstock.

Brian Schumacher
01-10-2013, 4:49 PM
Thank You all for the replys on the nova dvr switch. I will try the five programmable speeds ad then deal with it. Thanks again.
Brian Schumacher