PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd share this over here with ya'll

Jim Hager
04-28-2005, 8:36 PM
I check in with you guys from time to time but haven't gotten in the habit of posting on this forum so I thought I'd give it a try.

I am a teacher in a jr. high school in an agricultural mechanics and science program. We recently completed this project during classes and used some of our newest technology in the shop.
http://a7.cpimg.com/image/9B/C2/47256987-a7b3-02000180-.jpg

This garden bench was built for a retiring band director that has years of experience teaching kids music. His favorite tune happens to be "Just a closer walk with thee" according to his wife. We cut out the measure of music with a plasma arc cnc table that we recently acquired in our shop. The machine is called "Plasma Cam" and is a real challenge for this ole dog to learn and get up to speed on it for the students. This project was fun and challenging for me. Now I've made plenty a garden bench but never one with plate steel cut out into a measure of music.

Ya'll tell me what you think. Be kind now.

Dale Thompson
04-28-2005, 9:00 PM
Jim,
I can't think of a nicer gift for a retiring music instructor! :) It is beautifully done. By the way, do the notes represent the first bar of "Just a Closer Walk With Thee"? I think you answered that in your post but I don't know a "measure" from a "sonata". I haven't read music for years but the design sort of looks like it is. If I was a music major, I wouldn't have to ask such a dumb question. :o

Dale T.

Lars Thomas
04-28-2005, 9:02 PM
Outstanding work. I really like the mixed media. That bench will be a constant reminder for the retiring teacher of the good times enjoyed at your school. Lars

Alan Turner
04-28-2005, 9:06 PM
Very nice, and quite thoughtful. Is the steel powder coated so it can handle the garden? Looks like it, but I have a poor monitor at home so can't really tell.

Peter Dufresne
04-28-2005, 9:08 PM
I hope somebody is that thoughtful when I retire... well done

Tom Pritchard
04-28-2005, 9:26 PM
Jim, what a wonderful idea for a bench! I really like it. My younger son plays piano, and this would make a great gift for him too. Beautiful work, very inspirational idea, and great execution. Nice job!

Jim Hager
04-28-2005, 9:27 PM
I'm sorry I didn't make it clear in my post but the notes in the measure do represent the song "just a closer walk with thee" The art teacher drew the original, the kids and I scanned it into the plasma cam software and redrew the art on the software. It wouldn't scan in without being very fuzzy. I haven't got the hang of something yet.

The metal art is not powder coated, just several coats of a good spray paint. It won't be that hard to paint though because there are some definate hard lines to follow when painting.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Jim.....that will mean a lot to the retiring music teacher! Great work by you and your students! I think Mark Singer will think this should be touted in the design forum! Nice work!

Mike Tempel
04-29-2005, 7:56 AM
What a fitting gift to a retiring teacher. One that not only represents his passion but also made by the kids that he shared that passion with. I think this was an absolutely fantastic idea that was carried out to a beautiful finish. Tell the kids how they should be proud of their work as we are impressed beyond words for not only their thoughts but also their actions.

John Hart
04-29-2005, 8:18 AM
Very cool! It got my brain spinning. Like I need another project...sheesh!

Jeff Sudmeier
04-29-2005, 8:29 AM
That looks great! I am sure he will cherrish it for the rest of his life!

Ken Shoemaker
04-29-2005, 8:40 AM
Jim,

My wife is a band director for a middle school here in northern Illinois. You've given me a great idea, however, my limited skill will make the execution a mere shadow of what you and your students have done. You've inspired me.

WELL DONE!!!!

Ken.......

Steve Inniss
04-29-2005, 9:02 AM
Jim,

Wonderful gift and project.
Great blend of the capabilities of the students involved, enhanced by the instruction, tools and technology provided by the school, and highlighting the life's work of this teacher.

-Steve

Tyler Howell
04-29-2005, 9:56 AM
Great project! Stop bye a little more often we all are glad to have you around.

Jamie Buxton
04-29-2005, 10:33 AM
You teach in a junior high school which has a computer-controlled plasma cutting machine??!! In this age of elimination of many school programs, that's quite remarkable.

Jerry Clark
04-29-2005, 10:37 AM
The students learned from the project and also learned an important message-- help, honor and give to people that have given so much of themselves to help the students grow into adults!

Frank Pellow
04-29-2005, 10:40 AM
What a great gift! You and your students should be very proud.

Ron Taylor
04-29-2005, 10:47 AM
As a woodworker and a musician, I am especially impressed with this project. Well done in both respects. You have inspired me to do a similar tribute for my father who was a gospel muscian. This bench would be a wonderful piece to place near his grave. I have some very old cypress that he harvested in the 1940's and built a family smoke house. That wood would be great for the project. Now I have to find a source for the metal art.

Pete Lamberty
04-29-2005, 11:15 AM
I think that this will be a cherished gift. The idea of a garden bench was nice in itself, but to put the notes of his favorite song into it is sheer brilliance. Whoever thought of that deserves somekind of Einstein award. :)

Charles McKinley
04-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi Jim,

That is a great piece. CNC is the way of the future and it is great that your students are able to learn and use it so early.

Hi Ron,
Look for almost any metal work shop of any size. If thay do stainless or aluminum work I can almost gaurentee that they will have a CNC plasma burn-table. If they do large work like storage tanks they may even have a piece of scrap SS that they may sell you for a reasonable price. If you do not record on the drop piece the type of steel and heat number you can't put it into anything you are building to API code. Jim this may also be a good source of steel for your uses. Many of the pieces that are too small for us to use would be great for you projects. You would be able to buy new steel for scrap price. Steel prices are high now and the smaller the piece you want the more they want to charge you a pound for it.

Many steel vendors also offer cutting services.

Jim Hager
04-29-2005, 5:14 PM
I'm sure to hang around more often. I'll be sure to learn something and hopefully can contribute a little as well.

I appreciate all the kind remarks. I'll pass your kudos on to the kids.

Aaron Koehl
04-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Jim,

I can't think of a nicer gift for a retiring music instructor! :) It is beautifully done. By the way, do the notes represent the first bar of "Just a Closer Walk With Thee"?
Dale T.

Coming from a church organist/pianist going on 9 years, that's a really nice bench! Indeed it is the first two bars in C. :)