PDA

View Full Version : Question for the electronics gurus...

Raymond Fries
01-07-2013, 8:51 PM
My wife really want to listen to the FM radio station 94.1. This is really bizzar...

Every station greater than or less than 94.1 tunes in just fine. But that particular station will not tune in on any receiver or radio in the house. She can get it on her Sansa Fuse in several rooms if she stands in a particular spot and faces a certain direction. The radio in the car receives the station just fine in the garage or on the road. She can stream it on the internet as well

Can anyone explain why this would be? What in this house could be causing this?:confused:

Thanks

Dan Hintz
01-07-2013, 9:03 PM
Several things... better quality tuner in the car (higher sensitivity), better antenna, etc. Radio waves are quite sensitive to obstruction, but if you're close enough to the station a large enough power output will override walls, trees, and so on. You're obviously at the fringe of the power rating for the station (i.e., you're probably not their target market).

Marty Gulseth
01-07-2013, 9:06 PM
Quite possibly your home is in a "cancellation" spot caused by a phenomena called multipath. That comes about when a portion of the signal from the transmitter bounces off a nearby object (larger building, or like we have here out west, a mountain) and the signal is out-of-phase with the direct signal and they cancel. Sorry if that seems too techy, but googling "multipath interference" and "multipath propagation" has some graphics that will help understand the phenomena. A quickie test to help determine if that's what is going on - when you drive around near your home, with the car radio tuned to the station you want, do you hear a fade in and out (sometimes the fading in and out is called "picket-fencing") If you notice the in-and-out fading, that's probably a pretty good indication that your home is in a spot where the signals are cancelling each other.

Hope that helps, and best wishes with listening! Regards,

Marty

Ed Aumiller
01-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Try unplugging ALL electronic devices in the house except a radio... This includes intercoms, baby monitors, radios, clocks, televisions, telephones, answering machine, satellite receivers, microwaves, stoves, washer, dryer, refrigerator, freezer.... Make sure they are ALL unplugged at the same time... If radio works, put them back one at a time till you find the culprit...
The reason the car radio works is that it is NOT plugged into the wall (AC)....
If you find the problem, you can buy an inline AC filter for the device causing it... one source is "X10.com"

Stephen Cherry
01-07-2013, 11:03 PM
, better antenna, ).

I vote for the antenna also. Maybe hit the yard sales for an old reciever with antenna inputs.

Myk Rian
01-08-2013, 10:31 AM
I found an FM antenna at a garage sale last year, and am gearing up to install it in the attic.

I also made one out of a piece of 59ohm TV coax. Stripped the cover 9' and soldered a 9' piece of heavy wire in place of the shield. Install it in a Z pattern.

Lee Schierer
01-08-2013, 9:46 PM
When we redid the siding on our house they installed a aluminized mylar house wrap. As a result, we only get cell phone signals directly in front of windows. My wireless weather station signal doesn't come to the receiver where it was originally located. It could be that your house has aluminum siding or a similar house wrap.

Raymond Fries
01-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all of the tips and ideas guys! A lot of new information and ideas I had not thought of. I will post back if we find a resolution so maybe someone else can benefit.

Charles McKinley
01-11-2013, 11:46 PM
C. Crane Radio has a web page dedicated to antennas. I havent purchased from them but want to. One of mey favorite shown changed stations and my AM reception is horrible here.