PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic CS Kudos and mortiser recommendation

Dave huber
01-07-2013, 8:49 PM
Since I sometimes complain when CS is lousy, or tools perform shoddily, I think it only fair to give equal attention to successful remedies of problems as they occur. Powermatic did a great job. I'm a very satisfied customer.

I recently bought a Powermatic 701 benchtop Mortiser off Craigslist. It was unused, but second hand to me.

On the third mortise, the handle hub snapped in half.
A little research revealed that this was a known issue on some versions of the mortiser. A redesigned, more robust hub is now standard.

A call to PM CS was initially a little rocky. However, the second person I spoke to recognized that this was a known issue and sent a replacement out even though PM's 5 year warranty extends to original purchasers
It arrived quickly and remedied the problem.

Moreover, and more importantly, I can say without reservation that the PM mortiser is heads and shoulders better than the Delta it replaced. After moderate hobby use, I discovered a crack in the main casting of the Delta. Luckily, it did not break in use, as the entire head would have been unrestrained.

The PM is much better constructed and put together. It operates much smoother and does a better job all around. The Delta had cheapo adjustment hardware and was a pain as far as setting up the work hold down. No tools are necessary for the PM other than a chuck key. The PM has very cool rolling blocks that keep the work against the fence and a really solid hold down. It has lots of power and is a total pleasure to use.

I unreservedly recommend it.

Thanks, Powermatic!

Dave