PDA

View Full Version : Keepn' it simple

Roger Chandler
01-07-2013, 8:14 PM
I am scheduled to do another demo on lidded boxes next week......this time for Central Virginia Woodturners. Time constraints dictate that instead of doing an elaborately embellished box, that a simple "how to" demo is what is called for.......so I turned one back sometime late October out of maple.......got the knob too small on it! :o

The other one today is from Ash.........just brushing up on sequences for the lid and body, to make the transitions smooth as far as time goes.......I made one mistake......the burn lines at the bottom ......I was going to have three, but in my distractions with the phone ringing and another interruption while turning, I got one of the lines off just a little......made it look odd, so I had to add another line to give some symmetry to the embellishment .......I usually like odd numbers, but I had to do this fix.....not ideal, but it will work for a little pass around box ........I will have several different styles on display for the group.

Harry Robinette
01-07-2013, 8:48 PM
Roger
I really like this,you did that piece of wood justice. You did what you called it, simple. Really nice boxes.

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2013, 9:17 PM
Really nice Roger. Love the simple design.

Roger Chandler
01-08-2013, 7:11 AM
Roger
I really like this,you did that piece of wood justice. You did what you called it, simple. Really nice boxes.

thanks Harry!

Thom Sturgill
01-08-2013, 7:49 AM
I notice you put the tenon on the bottom. I tend to go the other way and put the tenon on the top. That way I grip the top by the tenon when I shape the outside and the bottom looks cleaner to me. At any rate those are nice looking boxes, I'm sure the tutorial will be a hit.

Roger Chandler
01-08-2013, 9:53 AM
I notice you put the tenon on the bottom. I tend to go the other way and put the tenon on the top. That way I grip the top by the tenon when I shape the outside and the bottom looks cleaner to me. At any rate those are nice looking boxes, I'm sure the tutorial will be a hit.

Actually, Thom, neither of these boxes used a tenon for the box itself.......I used a recess to hold by expansion mode. Then I cut the outside down to a ring on the bottom for the box to sit on and to add some lift off the table. The top had a tenon, so I could add the knob then I cut it down............many ways to do boxes.......this is what I was asked to demo, so I was just practicing a bit to sharpen my technique.......been a few months, so did not want to be too rusty going into a demo next week!

Pat Scott
01-08-2013, 2:02 PM
I think what Thom is referring to is where the lid and bottom join together - the bottom has the recess (or tenon) instead of the top like he does.

Roger Chandler
01-08-2013, 2:58 PM
I think what Thom is referring to is where the lid and bottom join together - the bottom has the recess (or tenon) instead of the top like he does.

If Thom has a pic of one like you say, I would like to see it, to be able to understand the difference it makes.......thanks Pat!