PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus Salt Bowl

Greg Ketell
01-07-2013, 7:30 PM
Mostly following Jim Burr's tutorial I created this Tazmanian Eucalyptus Burl salt bowl for my spouse.

(click photos for bigger versions)
250413 250414
250415 250416

About 3-3/8" diameter/tall. My wife picked the shape, I would have gone with a wider base but she is the one who will be using it the most.
Finished with lots of coats of Deft Lacquer and then buffed out with red and then white rouge.
Cracks filled with Epoxy+Coffee.
I used a piece of 1/8" stainless as the hinge pin with a brass bushing in the lid. Both bought at a local hardware store.
A pair of 3/16" x 1/16" magnets hold it closed. Tiny magnets ordered from K&J Magnetics.

Lessons learned:

find out before finishing that your wife disagrees with your taste for leaving the voids unfilled to show off the wood.
hand sanding coffee-filled epoxy is a real pain in the _____.
drill the hinge holes before making the lid nice and rounded.
actually: rough turn, drill the hinge holes, drill a small-diameter set of temp-holes where the magnet will be, then pin the lid in place and finish turn it. Makes it MUCH easier to have everything line up after turning. When you are ready, the temp-holes are your drill guides for the magnets.
Instant coffee, not grounds work best for coloring epoxy.
Make sure your lid is LIGHT or it will tip the bowl over when opened. And returning a nicely rounded and finished lid sucks.
Small feet to have the bowl "float" don't work on something that is an off-balance turning (like a bowl with a pivoting lid). And trying to remove a foot on a nicely finished, rounded turning sucks.

Comments and Critiques appreciated!

Thanks, Jim, for the tutorial.

Roger Chandler
01-07-2013, 7:47 PM
Nice piece, Greg!

Timothy Mann
01-07-2013, 8:07 PM
Very nice Greg. Beautiful piece of wood. Great idea on the hinge and magnet.

Harry Robinette
01-07-2013, 8:58 PM
Nice job Greg. That is a very pretty piece of wood and excellent craftsmanship.

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2013, 9:13 PM
Nice piece and beautiful wood.

paul vechart
01-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Very cool Greg...the coffee fill turned out nice...is Jim's tutorial available to the public?

Paul

Greg Ketell
01-07-2013, 10:45 PM
He can't post a link but he is happy to share if you send him a private message.

Rodney Walker
01-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Very nicely done and thanks for the tips. I'm sure you saved at least one of us some trouble.
Rodney

Michelle Rich
01-08-2013, 6:20 AM
pretty wood and cute box

Jim Burr
01-08-2013, 3:00 PM
I remember that one! Nice job...I'm bringing some pins and magnets on my next visit! Euc, and your super skills made a cool box!

thomas prusak
01-08-2013, 5:02 PM
great pc. and great finish

Steve Rost
01-09-2013, 7:48 AM
Had to grin all thru your post. Seems like there are always issues to be delt with. Nice box

Greg Ketell
01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Thank you all for the nice comments!

It is a great piece of wood, and the nice thing is that I have it's brother sitting on my bench so there may be another salt box in the making in the future.

gk

steven carter
01-09-2013, 3:15 PM
Greg,

It sounds like a lot of things sucked while making this, but one thing that does NOT, is the finished product! Looks good to me.

Greg Ketell
01-09-2013, 5:41 PM
A bit of wisdom I was given years ago that holds true in all things: if you like where you end up, you can't regret the path that led you there. So while I was frustrated while doing all the reworks, they were all worth it. :)

Greg,

It sounds like a lot of things sucked while making this, but one thing that does NOT, is the finished product! Looks good to me.

David DeCristoforo
01-09-2013, 5:49 PM
Excellent! My wife loves anything that has salt in it so she would never notice the "voids"

Greg Ketell
01-09-2013, 5:55 PM
The voids SWMBO was most worried about were those on the lid because they would capture cooking grease mist and dust and become basically uncleanable.

Excellent! My wife loves anything that has salt in it so she would never notice the "voids"