PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Burl Bowl

Glenn Hodges
04-28-2005, 8:10 PM
This bowl is 12 in. wide X 3.75 in. high. It is more of the load of mesquite I got from Kingsville, Texas about 3 weeks ago. I happened to find a burl or 2, and this is the results. It is also finished with the tung oil solution, and buffed. It was also dried with Dave Smith's DNA method. The cracks you see near the top are not the results of the drying. They were there before I started turning. I CA glued them as a precaution to keep them from getting any larger, and it worked (sometimes this doesn't). My question is, "Do you think I should have turned the cracks out at the top or not?" I wanted as large a piece of the burl as I could save, but sometimes the cracks detract from the piece, and leaving them in is not worth it. Your input would be appreciated. The mesquite bowls are rolling in now. Dave's drying method sure is a blessing for those of us wanting to see fast results of our work. If you are wanting to work with mesquite you will find it a very stable wood, and does not warp after drying.

Cecil Arnold
04-28-2005, 8:17 PM
Glenn, I think that the cracks in Mesquete only add to the character of this tough but beautiful wood. I only wish I had a good supplier of larger blanks. The last batch I had were only about 6" with a few that would go to 9-10" and I had to cut them out of the brush pile after the bores got to them.

Jim Becker
04-28-2005, 9:17 PM
Yum!! I really like that! The contrast is great.

Jim Ketron
04-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Wow Nice burl bowl Glenn!
I think the crack looks just fine on this piece with all the inclusions and diff Grain patterns it just adds to the character!
Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Glen....beautiful bowl.....gorgeous wood........I wouldn't change a thing!

Ed Scolforo
04-29-2005, 6:21 AM
Glenn: That's one of the most beautiful bowls I've seen yet. The colors are great and the cracks only add to it's overall appearance. Nice work!

Ed

Michael Stafford
04-29-2005, 6:57 AM
A beautiful bowl with character and lots of visual interest!!! I like it! :D

Jeff Sudmeier
04-29-2005, 8:28 AM
Glen, I think in a burl bowl with that much Character, the cracks fit right in. Now if this was a cherry bowl with no knots or inclusions, I would say the cracks wouldn't fit.

Looks great!

Kurt Aebi
04-29-2005, 9:15 AM
Glenn,

I agree with the other folks here that said that with all th ediffering grains, the cracks are right at home - Character Builders!

Nice form and color and you did a great job on this one. Can't wait to see the others from this load os mesquite. I have made about a dozen pens from mesquite and it works nice and sure makes the shop smell nice!

Steve Inniss
04-29-2005, 9:27 AM
Glenn,

Nice.

What they said - cracks in. I think it would have been a waste of great material to turn below the cracks.

Selfishly though, I would've liked to have seen a bigger image. -Steve