PDA

View Full Version : Poor man's Tailstock Reversing chuck adaptor

Prashun Patel
01-07-2013, 2:36 PM
I have a tailstock reversing chuck adapter that works fine. However, recently I've discovered I can use the a conical live center the same way:

After turning the outside of the vessel with a faceplate, and after the tenon is formed, I remove the vessel from the spindle - keeping the faceplate attached - and put on the chuck. Then I loosely grab the tenon in the chuck jaws, and bring up the tailstock right into the spindle end of the faceplate still attached on the vessel. Clamp down the tailstock, and drive the live center in. Finally, tighten the chuck jaws around the tenon.

This 'perfectly' centers the vessel, and prevents having to swap out the tailstock adapter for the spindle one. It also doesn't require screwing into the faceplate.

As I'm typing this, I realize those are very small inconveniences. However, I found it useful, so thought I'd share... Sorry if this is already a known 'trick'.

David Walser
01-07-2013, 2:47 PM
Thanks for the idea. It was new to me.

Thom Sturgill
01-07-2013, 3:11 PM
I start between centers to create the tenon. The divot made by the drive spur allow me to use the live center to align the piece before tightening the jaws on the cuck. Similar idea. Sometimes we need reminding of these.

Dan Hintz
01-07-2013, 3:17 PM
I start between centers to create the tenon. The divot made by the drive spur allow me to use the live center to align the piece before tightening the jaws on the cuck. Similar idea. Sometimes we need reminding of these.

That's my method...

Chris Studley
01-07-2013, 4:46 PM
I do the same thing as you Prashun.

It works with chucks as well a the faceplate as you described...

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2013, 5:13 PM
Yep a old woodturner here in town showed me that trick. Works really well.

James Combs
01-07-2013, 7:43 PM
My method also.

Tom Wilson66
01-07-2013, 9:51 PM
I do the same thing. But it's nice feeling when you '' discover" a technique you had never heard of. Do this all the time, it's called "reinventing the wheel", and is a great feeling (even if for only a little while).

robert baccus
01-07-2013, 10:31 PM
That works good for sure. Also you can use the hollow cone on the oneway live center to center vase mouths--inside or outside. Try making a larger cone of wood (3-6") that you can attach to your live-center. I also have one that mounts on a single screw for use on either end of your lathe.

Larry Whitlow
01-08-2013, 1:23 AM
Thanks. Learned some new techniques here.