PDA

View Full Version : Commercial alternatives to ZCI on Grizzly G0444Z

Jeremy Gibson
04-28-2005, 7:18 PM
I'm looking to replace the stock insert on my Grizzly G0444Z saw with a zero clearance insert, but the sock isn't machined very well. I've been looking for commercial ZCI's in UHMW or Phenolic materials to use as both my first replacement and a better template for more inserts.

The price from Grizzly is $22 for a 12 9/16 x 3 9/16 x 3/8 insert. I've found the same size on Amazon for $12 specified for a General International saw. What I don't know is if the Grizzly or GI have relief cuts where the metal tabs stick out on the saw. The stock insert is 3/8" all over with leveling screws.

Has anyone purchased a ZCI for the Grizzly G0444Z other than from Grizzly?

Cecil Arnold
04-28-2005, 8:42 PM
Why not make your own. It is easy with a router and pattern bit, add some leveling screws and a couple of additional screws to keep it tight, make any additional cuts for splitter or whatever and you're ready to go. Even at $12 you are going to need more than one, especally if you plan on making angle cuts, and you can always use one or two for dados of different widths.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-28-2005, 9:14 PM
I'm looking to replace the stock insert on my Grizzly G0444Z saw with a zero clearance insert, but the sock isn't machined very well. I've been looking for commercial ZCI's in UHMW or Phenolic materials to use as both my first replacement and a better template for more inserts.

The price from Grizzly is $22 for a 12 9/16 x 3 9/16 x 3/8 insert. I've found the same size on Amazon for $12 specified for a General International saw. What I don't know is if the Grizzly or GI have relief cuts where the metal tabs stick out on the saw. The stock insert is 3/8" all over with leveling screws.

Has anyone purchased a ZCI for the Grizzly G0444Z other than from Grizzly?

Jeremy, I know this doesn't answer your question but I agree to make your own. I'll bet the original one is close enough to use as a template for the router. If not then just rip a piece just a hair wider than your opening and sand or plane to a perfect fit. For the curves just follow the original plate and again sand. It's really easy and you'll need one for a dado set if you have one. Alan