PDA

View Full Version : Worn Belt?

Liesl Dexheimer
01-07-2013, 11:41 AM
I've been having an issue lately where our Epilog mini 24 occassionally makes a clunking sound as it moves down when engraving text. I've uploaded a video of the problem which you can view here (http://vimeo.com/56916564). You can hear the machine making the noise if you turn up the volume a bit. Sometimes the noise will sound more drastic especially when engraving smaller areas & in particular name tags. I have greased the rail regularly.

Could this be a worn belt or a problem with the carriage? When the machine is off and I move the carriage manually, it can stick at certain points as I pull it from top to bottom. Our laser will be 8 yrs old in a few days, not sure if something needs replacing now.

Martin Boekers
01-07-2013, 2:15 PM
I'd email Epilog Tech support with the video link.

tech@epiloglaser.com

Liesl Dexheimer
01-07-2013, 3:07 PM
I was thinking of doing that as well. Just wanted to pick some brains here first. I hope it won't be an expensive fix if something does need repair...

Chuck Stone
01-07-2013, 5:21 PM
I'm not an Epilog tech, but I've spent years as a tech on other transport systems.
That does sound like a belt skipping a tooth (don't know if your belts have teeth
or not) or a gear tooth slipping.

If it is a belt or gear, it doesn't sound expensive. If Epilog adds a zero at the end
of the price, I think you're still in the <$100 range. If you can get the specs on the
gear or belt and find it in a catalog, even better. Get some spares!

David Fairfield
01-08-2013, 4:18 PM
I don't have any advice, but happy 8th Birthday to your laser! :) Dave