PDA

View Full Version : Offset Thingy for Dial Indicator

Harvey Melvin Richards
01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
In the now closed thread for the TS Aligner, someone mentioned how useful the offset dial indicator thingy was. As a machinist I use indicators a lot, and the offset tip can be quite useful. I made mine out of 3/16" X 3/16" keystock. One end has a 4-48 thread, and the other end has a 0.116 through hole, although you could get by with a 1/8" hole. The bar is attached to the indicator with a 4-48 1/2" long socket head cap screw.

There are adapters available for indicators that will also allow for an offset tip, but these only work on specific indicator travel lengths. Keep in mind that by adding an offset tip, you are changing the direction of the load on the indicator.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/HarveyMelvinRichards/Indicators/PA222019Large_zps7172f585.jpg

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/HarveyMelvinRichards/Indicators/PA222021Large_zps00f7917b.jpg

ian maybury
01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
That's a lovely looking job Harvey.

Two related issues i've run into:

(a) Some of the cheap alternative tips sold in sets through woodworking outlets are rather poorly made. Not such a big deal for some shapes, but it can matter a lot on for example one of those disc type feet used to set a planer if the surface isn't accurately flat and/or square to the spindle of the gauge when it's screwed on.

(b) Both gauges I have are eastern made budget (but supposedly decent quality) models that came through different reputable woodworking and/or catalogue tool places. (one US, and one UK)

They need proper checking, but it seems like they have quite a lot of backlash and also slop in the spindle. For whatever reason it can be quite difficult to get consistent readings with them - as in e.g. with the gauge screwed to a mild steel square bar and resting on the planer table it's necessary to always place the gauge and bring up the knife in exactly the same way to get consistency..

This is one of the reasons why i backtracked to using a length of aluminium extrusion and the carry forward method to set planer knives...

ian