PDA

View Full Version : Static Buildup

Ray Nickel
01-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Does anybody have suggestions on how to reduce static while planing? All shavings are sticking to my plane, hands, clothes etc. Shop humidity here in southern Alberta is at 46%. I swept the shavings into a dust pan, went to dump it in the garbage can (plastic), the static charge was so high that the garbage bin refused to accept the shavings. They all stuck to the can around the oustside. Anybody dealt with this first world problem yet?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-07-2013, 10:19 AM
That's a new one for me. Maybe try and figure out what's building up the static? Are you wearing snowpants and working on a carpet?

Could try a metal garbage can? At work, (semiconductor plant) some of the anti-fatigue mats are also anti-static, with a little grounding wire.

Adam Cruea
01-07-2013, 12:14 PM
I always try to grab something metal that is known to be grounded when that happens. Thankfully my drill press is but 2 feet away, so I just put my hand on the table for a minute or two. Or grab the copper water pipes above my head. :)

Ray Nickel
01-07-2013, 2:27 PM
Good call on the overhead water pipes, that will be the nearest ground for me. I'll give it a try

Randy Clements
01-07-2013, 2:37 PM
Does anybody have suggestions on how to reduce static while planing? All shavings are sticking to my plane, hands, clothes etc. Shop humidity here in southern Alberta is at 46%. I swept the shavings into a dust pan, went to dump it in the garbage can (plastic), the static charge was so high that the garbage bin refused to accept the shavings. They all stuck to the can around the oustside. Anybody dealt with this first world problem yet?

Rub anything plastic (dustpan) with a USED fabric softener sheet from the dryer. You could probably also rub down your handplane with a sheet to see if it works the same way.

It's a little trick I learned from old-timers when I started reloading ammunition. It's to keep the grains of powder from sticking in funnels and other various measuring containers.

Jason Coen
01-07-2013, 8:26 PM
It's a little trick I learned from old-timers when I started reloading ammunition. It's to keep the grains of powder from sticking in funnels and other various measuring containers.

Yep. I rub the press down and then clip the sheet to one of the legs/stand on the press. Keeps the powder from bridging when dropping in the case.

Haven't had it happen in the shop. A good swipe across the plane and bench should help. Be interesting to see if it would work.

Aaron Rappaport
01-07-2013, 8:58 PM
I have always used a very light spritz of water mist on the shavings. Seemed to work ok, but I'd like to give the grounding idea a tray as well.

Ray Nickel
01-08-2013, 9:57 AM
Thanks for the replys. I wont be able to get into the shop till Saturday to try things out.

george wilson
01-08-2013, 10:00 AM
It gets down to 35% around here in the Winter,but I haven't had that problem here yet. I have trouble getting used Saran wrap into the plastic bags in the plastic garbage can under the sink.

Charlie Stanford
01-08-2013, 2:08 PM

Wipe down items with a dryer sheet. Also use them in your dryer to stop static on your clothes.