PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2013, 8:53 AM
7 Jan 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
I hope this finds each of you doing well. The LOML and I have already been planning on what ww'ing projects that I need to tackle this year. I already know I have some things to make...like a cedar chest for the LOML Jr, 12 of my end-grain cutting boards, and various wooden kitchen utensils for family members that have asked for them. I still need to finish that bowl that is still on the lathe. Some how, I've got to find a way to make myself get out there and do something in the shop. :)

My #2 son graduates this year and we are already planning a motorcycle trip for his graduation, so some of you may get a ping from me to see what we can see in your area should we make it through a location near you.

It's back to a full working schedule now at the day job and now it's time to get off here at on to work.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Joe Mioux
01-07-2013, 9:40 AM
After a long time away from wood projects, I started a new one. Since we have had several people back their cars into our mailbox over the past couple years, we need a new one.

So, yesterday, I began cutting some of the pieces. Also, got to use my new Festool ts55 saw.

Paul Di Biasio
01-07-2013, 10:16 AM
I finished rubbing out the finish on this 18" Shaker tray. I still have 15 completed shaker boxes that need finishing.

Doug Richardson
01-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Rearranged the position of the table saw and dust collector some time back, before the holidays, and needed to run new service outlets for both. Got the first piece of emt out of the service box for that up yesterday..... lol!

Jim Becker
01-07-2013, 4:55 PM
Quiet weekend...took the 'rents to the airport on Saturday so they could fly home to central Florida...they were here for two weeks to celebrate the holidays and it was nice. Actually got a rare photo with both my brother and myself in it with my parents. We are not all together in the same place very often...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Christmas%202012/becker-family-1Jan2013.jpg

Other than that, I started planning for my kitchen table project...it will be a sturdy wood trestle base with a soapstone top that matches the counters. I may be picking up another tack trunk commission soon, too.

Ole Anderson
01-07-2013, 8:31 PM
Finally got around to installing some flooring in my mostly finished basement. Went with the cheap Pergo from HD, probably over a thousand sf by the time I am done. And 108 lf of Oak base to stain, varnish and install. I have one of those Skil flooring saws from Lowe's that I use for outside volunteer jobs, but since this is right next to my basement shop, the Grizz 1023 is my weapon of choice, and with the dust collection it has actually been fun. I love doing flooring, you really can see your accomplishment.

Matt Meiser
01-07-2013, 8:58 PM
I put the finishing touches on this.

Shawn Pixley
01-07-2013, 9:46 PM
I have been off for two weeks and back to work today. This weekend I swapped out our kitchen faucet and fixed the microwave element of our oven (dodged a bullet there). In addition to exercising the dogs while dodging the rain, i applied a couple more coats on the display cabinet and a small project I build when practicing hand cut dovetails. I also decide to do another set of hand cut dovetails for a box project. I resawed and bookmatched some curly cherry for t
he box. On Sunday I enjoyed the Seahawks win and then cleaned the shop and turned it back into a garage. Back at work at 7:30 this morning.

Phillip Gregory
01-08-2013, 5:45 AM
I am just about finished with making a baby changing table (one of my sisters-in-law is pregnant.) It turned out pretty well, especially considering that my entire stock of power tools consists of a drill, a circular saw, a non-sliding 10" compound miter saw, a belt sander, and an old pad sander. It just needs a couple of coats of poly and it will be good to go.

. 250483

David Hostetler
01-09-2013, 1:16 PM
Been totally swamped for the past 3 weekends doing WAY overdue outprocessing of obsolete documents from the home office. (shredding decades old tax returns, and the loan paperwork for my then new 1989 Toyota SR5 4x4 etc...). Building and installing an iSCSI SAN with 12TB or available RAID5 storage, building and installing cluster nodes for a RHEL / OpenNebula compute cluster. And looking for a drywall contractor that will do just one wall at a time. I need to have my garage wall finished so I can hang my goodies back on it, and move to the other wall for insulation and sheetrock next... Any recommendations for Houston area sheet rock guys that aren't too expensive, and that are wiling to do small jobs?

Phillip Gregory
01-09-2013, 4:34 PM
David,

Is that SAN and Linux cluster for work or for fun?

David Hostetler
01-09-2013, 5:01 PM
David,

Is that SAN and Linux cluster for work or for fun?

Both. My company quit sending us to training a couple of years ago due to budget cutbacks, but they expect us to stay on top of the tech... Setting up my own cloud is FAR cheaper than taking the classes, and certainly will help me better understand it in the long run as I will have more opportunity to get my hands dirty in areas we don't work with...

Phillip Gregory
01-10-2013, 12:40 AM
Both. My company quit sending us to training a couple of years ago due to budget cutbacks, but they expect us to stay on top of the tech... Setting up my own cloud is FAR cheaper than taking the classes, and certainly will help me better understand it in the long run as I will have more opportunity to get my hands dirty in areas we don't work with...

Sounds fun! I also enjoy messing around with computers too although I don't have anything as neat as a cluster. Just a quad-socket workstation and an older dual-socket server I use as an NFS server. I do need to build a nice computer desk someday as my current secondhand (well, probably fifth-hand) old secretary desk is pretty small. It will be a while before I start on the computer desk as I have a few more projects lined up before that happens.

David Hostetler
01-11-2013, 5:03 PM
Sounds fun! I also enjoy messing around with computers too although I don't have anything as neat as a cluster. Just a quad-socket workstation and an older dual-socket server I use as an NFS server. I do need to build a nice computer desk someday as my current secondhand (well, probably fifth-hand) old secretary desk is pretty small. It will be a while before I start on the computer desk as I have a few more projects lined up before that happens.

One of the items I am working on is a design for a LAN rack enclosure. My eventual rig is going to end up with 6 nodes with 8 cores, 32GB each, a front end server for the cloud services with 4 cores 32GB, and a workstation running CentOS with a Windows 7 VM running under KVM. The workstation and associated hardware, video capture device, audio mixer / input device, VCR are all that are destined to be stationed desktop. (VCR for converting old VHS tapes to mpeg4... I have a LOT of old tape). My current office is actually going to end up being moved to the smallest BR in the house, so the big U shaped desk I now have HAS to go... I have an L shaped desk I want to copy as well, and the LAN rack / enclosure is being designed to match.