PDA

View Full Version : "Here's your sign!"

Keel McDonald
04-28-2005, 3:18 PM
Do you ever do something so stupid that you deserve one of those "stupid" signs? Well I was in the process of building a buckboard bench yesterday. I had predrilled several holes to attach the seat to the back. In my anxiousness to get the project put together, I failed to drill the holes at the appropriate angle and just drilled them at 90 degrees. After throwing a few things, I decided to drill the holes a bit larger, turn a dowell the same diameter, and glue the dowell in the holes and start over. After going to all the trouble to fix my idiot mistake, sanding down the dowells, and remarking the holes, I drill 90 degree holes through the dowells I just glued in.

Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed! I'll post pics of the bench soon.

Keith Starosta
04-28-2005, 3:20 PM
I think I know someone, who goes by the initials "Jim Becker", who may have done something very similar to this to his new-fangled Adjust-A-Bench thingy.... :D

Keep your head up!!

Keith

Tyler Howell
04-28-2005, 4:16 PM
Been There! Done That! I've Got a T shirt!:o

Royce Meritt
04-28-2005, 4:24 PM
See my thread "Feel free to call me STUPID!!" a few threads down. I think you will see where I fit in.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-28-2005, 4:26 PM
:) I haven't done that, but I have done things very similar! It is amazing how many times I can do the same thing wrong in a row!

Royce Meritt
04-28-2005, 4:31 PM
Been There! Done That! I've Got a T shirt!:o

Hey Tyler...

Where do the rest of us get our T shirt???

Tim Morton
04-28-2005, 5:51 PM
Do you ever do something so stupid that you deserve one of those "stupid" signs? Well I was in the process of building a buckboard bench yesterday. I had predrilled several holes to attach the seat to the back. In my anxiousness to get the project put together, I failed to drill the holes at the appropriate angle and just drilled them at 90 degrees. After throwing a few things, I decided to drill the holes a bit larger, turn a dowell the same diameter, and glue the dowell in the holes and start over. After going to all the trouble to fix my idiot mistake, sanding down the dowells, and remarking the holes, I drill 90 degree holes through the dowells I just glued in.

Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed! I'll post pics of the bench soon.

Did you drill them that way on purpose?

Heres your sign!!

Jim Becker
04-28-2005, 6:15 PM
I think I know someone, who goes by the initials "Jim Becker", who may have done something very similar to this to his new-fangled Adjust-A-Bench thingy.... :D

'Never heard of the guy... ;)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13783

Keel McDonald
04-29-2005, 9:33 AM
Well, I finally finished the buckboard bench project. I thought I'd pass along some pics. I made it out of Cypress. I've never worked with it before, but will definitely use it on future outdoor projects. I decided not to use any finish on it, hoping it will naturally age to a nice gray color. I ordered the hardware from www.vandykes.com (http://www.vandykes.com). It was a nice project that used a variety of tools to build. I'd like to build a matching one and a table to be used as a deck eating area, an idea I saw on another website. The only thing I'd do differently is make some templates to use with my shaper for cutting the peices out. Sanding each of the pieces to get them just right took an exorbitant amount of time. Any comments or critiques are welcome.

Jim Becker
04-29-2005, 9:52 AM
Very kewel bench, Keel! Looks great on that deck. I like how you "decorated" it in the first picture, too... ;) I bet the little person loves it when mom or dad sits in the nice air and rocks a little!

Kurt Aebi
04-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Keel,

Your bench looks real good. Nice looking accessories, too!! Your family, i presume - you are a blessed man!

A matching table and bench would be real neat.

As far as your drilling sanfu! At least you could say that You were consistent!

Van Dyke's has always had some interesting restoration hardware, I also buy from their Taxidermy Supply business (they are a division of Cabela's in case anyone didn't already know)

Byron Trantham
04-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Keel, I think it looks great. This is the first one I've seen - real nice. :D

Ted Shrader
04-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Been There! Done That! I've Got a T shirt!:o Yep! And keep putting it on backwards. :) :)

Ted

Keel McDonald
04-29-2005, 12:17 PM
You all assumed correctly. I guess I forgot to mention that the loml and son, Joe, was in the picture too. Thanks for the nice comments.

Mike Stanton
04-29-2005, 1:19 PM
Just about all woodworkers have done about the same thing sometime. Great looking family and nice bench also. Mike :D