PDA

View Full Version : Small Cherry Burl Bowls

Toby Bouder
01-06-2013, 12:28 PM
These are from a small cherry burl that had been stored dry for many years. Two are end grain and two are side grain. The bowls are approx. 5"w x 2"h, the vase type thing is about 4"w x 3.5"h. Formby's Tung Oil and buffed.

Jim Burr
01-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Good stuff Toby!! I really like the rim on the last one...nice work!

Doug W Swanson
01-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Beautiful assortment. I wish I could find some nice wood like that!

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Great assortment. I like the 2nd and 4th.

Ken Glass
01-07-2013, 5:06 PM
Toby,
Very nice. I agree with Bernie, 2 and 4.

Toby Bouder
01-07-2013, 5:46 PM
Thanks all, here are top views of 2,3, and 4. I should have done something with the rim on the end grain bowl #2. Ah well, I'll try to improve next time.

David DeCristoforo
01-07-2013, 7:29 PM
I'm gonna stick my neck out a bit here. The first three bowls are... well.. not "all that". And had they all been pretty much on par with each other, I might be inclined to hand you a "sop" and say something like "nice bowls" and let it go at that.

But...

That last one is orders of magnitude beyond the other three. The form is excellent. The rim detail is killer and adds "lift". The character in the wood is the icing on the cake. So I'm wanting to say, "Go that way!" You nailed that one...

Toby Bouder
01-07-2013, 9:32 PM
I'm gonna stick my neck out a bit here. The first three bowls are... well.. not "all that". And had they all been pretty much on par with each other, I might be inclined to hand you a "sop" and say something like "nice bowls" and let it go at that.

But...

That last one is orders of magnitude beyond the other three. The form is excellent. The rim detail is killer and adds "lift". The character in the wood is the icing on the cake. So I'm wanting to say, "Go that way!" You nailed that one...

David, thank you for the compliment. As a begining woodturner, about a year now, words like that are very encouraging to me. I am happy with one out of four for now. I am still experimenting with form and details and I have a lot to learn. I have learned much from looking at the archived posts in this forum. I am working my way back and am currently on page 165, a long way to go but it helps me learn and I enjoy looking at other turner's works. That is why I post some of my work, maybe others can benefit from it.
Thanks again, Toby