PDA

View Full Version : 14" Delta Rockwell (1950 Style) Band Saw Motor Upgrade question

Chad Stewart
01-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the forums but I've enjoyed reading many of your updates and opinions.

I've just purchased a nice little Delta-Rockwell 14" band saw. I purchased it for $140. Thought that was a pretty good deal.

Images Here
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8S7uu5yJIe_SmM5a3IwNGZCQlk
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8S7uu5yJIe_TFNnemdBRFlkbGM
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8S7uu5yJIe_cHpJWkx5djcybGc

I'm looking at upgrading it as it only has a 1/3hp GE Motor mounted in an open base.

I've come across this motor and wanted to see if you all think this would be a suitable replacement
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&cat=226&ad=23614828

This same motor used is going for $350 on Ebay. I'm not familar motors enough. It appears like the shaft is likely 5/8 and 2hp seems a little on the high side but shouldn't be too overkill. The RPM looks like it's in the right ball park. Not sure if this motor rotates the right direction or if there is a problem with a Three Phase Motor.

Your advise is very much appreciated!

Rich Riddle
01-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Motor rotation can be reversed. There is no problem with three-phase power as long as you have either a rotary phase converter or a variable frequency drive. Not many folks put a 3-phase unit on a 14" saw. My advice would be wait for a decent single phase motor of the right size.

Chris Rosenberger
01-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Looks like a nice saw. If you do not have 3 phase power in your shop, that motor will not be less costly than getting a 1 hp or 2 hp 1 phase motor by the time you figure in a converter, switch & new motor pulley. The new motor has at least a 7/8" shaft. Your current motor has a 1/2" or 5/8" shaft.

Chad Stewart
01-06-2013, 2:23 PM
Thanks you guys! exactly the type of info I was hoping for. Are there some specific models I should be searching for that easily drop in place?

John Lanciani
01-06-2013, 2:32 PM
Look for a 1hp single phase 1750 rpm 56 frame TEFC motor and you'll be good to go.

Curt Harms
01-07-2013, 6:52 AM
Congrats on your purchase, I think you could easily make a few $ if you decide to sell in the future. It might be worthwhile to put a new sharp blade on, tune it up and use it. See if you need more power. If you do, I'd probably go with 1.5 h.p. or maybe 2 h.p. (unless I found a cheep lower h.p.) If you choose to install a riser kit at some point in the future you might be less likely to want to upgrade the motor yet again.

Not every single phase motor can be reversed, the data plate should tell you if it can be or not. You can deal with differing RPM s by switching out one or both pulleys but fewer $ if you don't have to. What kind of shape are the tires in? You probably know already about sourcing new blades as in not from a borg.

Chad Stewart
01-07-2013, 9:14 AM
It came with an extra 1/2" resaw blade that has very little use to it, so I'll Install that and tune it up and balance it. I've already built a rip fence for it so I'll slowly resaw a piece of poplar and see how it handles. As far as the tires, I still need to open it up and look at the belts. It's funny that there were two of us there trying to buy it and the other guy didn't bring any cash. I knew it was a steal of a deal so I bought it before he could return. I'm still recovering from the "light lifting" of moving this beauty.

Chad Stewart
03-29-2013, 1:58 PM
Could any of you look at this motor and see if it should work for this bandsaw? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-HP-Pressure-Washer-Electric-Motor-56C-Frame-1750-RPM-TEFC-1-Phase-/180871399546?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1cc6887a

Myk Rian
03-29-2013, 2:10 PM
Those saws work well with 3/4hp, so 1hp will help it.
Might want to post a WTB on owwm.org BOYD if you want to keep it original.
For the price, you got a great saw.

Chad Stewart
03-29-2013, 2:21 PM
Those saws work well with 3/4hp, so 1hp will help it.
Might want to post a WTB on owwm.org BOYD if you want to keep it original.
For the price, you got a great saw.

This unit on Ebay is a 2hp, is that overkill? I'm wanting to add spacers and use it to resaw.

Yuri Sadykov
03-29-2013, 2:26 PM
Chad,

I do not see any problem using the motor for you bandsaw. I have similar bandsaw (with riser block), but it had 2/3 HP which is not enough for resaw and I upgraded the motor. Worked fine. You can see some details Here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?197251-Old-Delta-14-quot-bandsaw-tuning-need-advises&highlight=).
To summarize.
You may need to make adapter plate to attach new motor to the saw's frame. I used piece of plywood and bolts from Lowes.

I put new sheaves, old one were in bad shape and old motor had 1/2" rod, new one is 3/4"

I replaced the belt with link belt, because old one did not fit, needed it in different length. Link belt is highly reated by most people and easily adjustable for right size. Only catch is. Because link belt stretches for first couple months, so I had to adjust belt tension time to time, but later it does not stretch any more and stays stable.

I choose to replace blade tension spring to improve tension of the blade for resaw.

All of above is pretty manageable and should not impose big difficulties.

Myk Rian
03-29-2013, 2:32 PM
This unit on Ebay is a 2hp, is that overkill? I'm wanting to add spacers and use it to resaw.
I have 1/2hp on mine, with a riser, and resaw 11-12" stock easy enough. I think 2hp is overkill.

Yuri Sadykov
03-29-2013, 2:52 PM
I have 1/2hp on mine, with a riser, and resaw 11-12" stock easy enough. I think 2hp is overkill.

I have Baldor 1.5HP on mine and do not consider it as overkill for resawing 11"-12" oak boards. The only thing I'd consider paying that much ($225) is overkill.

Chad Stewart
03-29-2013, 3:44 PM
I have Baldor 1.5HP on mine and do not consider it as overkill for resawing 11"-12" oak boards. The only thing I'd consider paying that much ($225) is overkill.
Yuri thanks for the price comment. I'm having a tough time finding units for less. Do you recommend somewhere?

Chad Stewart
03-29-2013, 4:29 PM
Chad,

I do not see any problem using the motor for you bandsaw. I have similar bandsaw (with riser block), but it had 2/3 HP which is not enough for resaw and I upgraded the motor. Worked fine. You can see some details Here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?197251-Old-Delta-14-quot-bandsaw-tuning-need-advises&highlight=).
To summarize.
You may need to make adapter plate to attach new motor to the saw's frame. I used piece of plywood and bolts from Lowes.

I put new sheaves, old one were in bad shape and old motor had 1/2" rod, new one is 3/4"

I replaced the belt with link belt, because old one did not fit, needed it in different length. Link belt is highly reated by most people and easily adjustable for right size. Only catch is. Because link belt stretches for first couple months, so I had to adjust belt tension time to time, but later it does not stretch any more and stays stable.

I choose to replace blade tension spring to improve tension of the blade for resaw.

All of above is pretty manageable and should not impose big difficulties.

Great Thread Yuri! it will be very helpful thanks!

Yuri Sadykov
03-29-2013, 4:34 PM
Chad,

I bought mine on local metalworker tool swap gathering and paid less then $50. Unfortunately I can not recommend any specific place. At some time I was looking for such motor before I bought mine, but had hard time, like, everything was expensive. Folks told me to call some local shops from Yellow pages, but I did not go that far, but got lucky at one point. If you are in a rush, then go ahead and buy what you found or take you time and ask some people, check local CL ads or just post here in sale subforum "wanted to buy". That is all I can say.

John Bailey
03-29-2013, 5:41 PM
Unless you're really going to do a lot of resawing, you don't need a 2 hp on a 14" saw. When I had one, 3/4 hp worked well, although if I had kept it, I was going to move to a 1 hp.