PDA

View Full Version : sealing wood

Harry Robinette
01-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Has anyone tryed using 50/50 white glue and water to seal green wood.This New Anchor seal 2 is just about worthless.
3 coats and still cracking never had that with the original Anchor seal.
I thought someone had talked about the 50/50 glue water mix but can't remember where.

Eric Gourieux
01-06-2013, 12:41 AM
I haven't used the glue/water mix for sealing. I've only heard of it being used to "fortify" punky wood.

I have a 5 gal bucket of Anchorseal 2, and I'll have to agree with you. I've had more luck recently with multiple coats and storing blanks in the garage. Next time, I'll order the real stuff.

robert baccus
01-06-2013, 3:20 AM
Try craft supplies---they still sell a wax/sealer which is like the old anchorseal in use. been using it for years.

Richard Jones
01-06-2013, 5:34 AM
Harry,

You can still obtain the "original" AnchorSeal, just call them and ask. The last time I ordered some, the nice lady said: "Oh, you must be a woodturner."

I haven't used the AS2, but I've heard stories and if what I'm using is working, I think I'll stick with it.

Michelle Rich
01-06-2013, 6:46 AM
you can melt paraffin wax, and in a real pinch you can use old paint. Both work ok

Fred Perreault
01-06-2013, 7:08 AM
I have 4.5 gallons of useless Anchorseal 2. I haven't used any of it in almost 2 years. It doesn't seem to do anything for logs or turning blanks. I am not sure what it would be good for in the lumber industry, as it has no sealing qualities. aaarrrrghhhh........

Bill Bulloch
01-06-2013, 7:44 AM
I hear of a turner who mixed white glue and water and glued newspaper to the ends of green logs to seal them. He applied the newspaper like you would wallpaper. I tried it back in September on some Ambrosia Maple, Red Cedar and White Oak. It's to early to tell the results, but so far so good. Give it a try.

Fred Belknap
01-06-2013, 8:34 AM
I got a bucket of AS2 on reading there recommendation. It worked somewhat and I lost a few blanks to cracks. I got a bucket of AS CLASSIC, on reading on line about the difference between the two. It worked somewhat and I lost a few blanks to cracks. My conclusion is that maybe we are expecting to much from the product. For protecting woodturning blanks it works pretty good for up to about a year, more or less and mostly less. I use it and will continue to use it and I'm not sure which is better, not much difference in the price. I order it in 5 gallon buckets. I think that melted wax will do better and I think that covering the complete blank with whatever would make it last longer. Rough turning your blanks within 6 months would go a long way to curing my loss problem, somehow I don't seem to get that done. I suggest selling or giving away banks that are getting a little storage age on them.

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I order AS original direct in 5 gal buckets. I have blanks with 2 coats of AS original on them that are over a year old with no cracks. AS 2 IMHO is worse that latex paint. The only woods I have had trouble with cracking after AS original is like Apple, crab apple, and mulberry. By the way if you call UC Coatings ask for the original. I had the same comment as above that I must be a woodturner.

Toby Bouder
01-06-2013, 10:42 AM
I mix one gallon of titebond II with one quart of water and am very pleased with the results. I use a brush and just paint it on the fresh cut end grain with a one to two inch overlap to the side grain.

Harry Robinette
01-06-2013, 9:39 PM
Toby
how long are you keeping log's with this mix on them, a year, 6mths, 2mths what kind of wood are you using.I could really use you input.

Toby Bouder
01-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Toby
how long are you keeping log's with this mix on them, a year, 6mths, 2mths what kind of wood are you using.I could really use you input.
Harry, so far I have used it on two truck loads of box elder and one load of cherry. Both of these trees were covered with burls so I was concerned about losing the wood to endgrain checking. I read about the bad results with AS II and somewhere on the net I got the idea for the glue water mix (maybe this forum?). Anyway its been on all the blanks for about 3 1/2 months now with no signs of checking so far. The wood is stored under roof but not in an enclosed building, there is plenty of air flow. Even some 10" diameter unsplit logs that were sealed haven't checked yet. It will be a while before I can turn all of this wood so I am hoping that the glue works till I can get to it all. My thinking is that the thinned glue mixes with the water in the wood and gets drawn into the endgrain where it sets and seals the wood pores down inside the wood rather than just putting a coating on the surface of the wood. Hope this helps.

Toby

Jim Burr
01-07-2013, 6:03 PM
Despite the uproar against paint...any BORG always has a discount shelf, mixes people never picked up. As long as it's new latex, it works great...have some sealed with latex for 18 months and no issues.

Dwight Rutherford
01-07-2013, 6:25 PM
Check out Baileysonline.com They have 5 gallon end sealer that works very well. Product# 60455.

Harry Robinette
01-07-2013, 6:56 PM
Dwight
I checked and to get it and delivery here it's $22.80 a gallon. That's just a little much and 5 gals would last me a long time.

Fred Belknap
01-07-2013, 7:15 PM
I checked and to get it and delivery here it's $22.80 a gallon. That's just a little much and 5 gals would last me a long time.

Harry IIRC 5 gal will run around $80, it won't go bad if you keep the lid on.

Richard Coers
01-07-2013, 9:27 PM
I've been experimenting myself with sealing some really big blocks of soft maple. I brush on a liberal coat of Anchor Seal II and then stick on a sheet of glossy magazine, or glossy newspaper ad stock. So far so good. For my thinking, this will slow the evaporation rate from the wood.