PDA

View Full Version : Nova Jaws, 6mm screws

Anthony Diodati
01-05-2013, 11:31 PM
I just got a new set of jaws for my Nova chuck from Klingspor's, and the box had been opened, and there is usually a zip tie holding the jaws together, and it was cut. Aren't the screws and a new allen wrench supposed to come with the new jaws?
Not so worried about the allen wrench.

Richard Jones
01-06-2013, 5:46 AM
Anthony,

You can use some screws from the hardware/Lowe's/HD/etc. although the head may be just a bit too wide for the jaw. I just chuck the threaded end, lightly of course, in my cordless drill, and grind a skosh off with the grinder (running). Doesn't take but a second or two and you have a perfect fit.

I've seen several "cut" zip ties over the years in jaw packages, I believe it's just a failure of the tie, maybe due to the grease?

Now, after all that drivel, I don't believe the screws come with the jaws. Screws come with the chuck. Nova lists some of its chucks to require "Fastenings", which links to a bag like you looked for.

Hope this helps. First cup of coffee this am, still processing............

John Keeton
01-06-2013, 7:40 AM
Tony, screws and wrench do not come with new jaws. You can order some extra screws (Woodcraft had them in stock) - always good to have some around. I have used the hardware screws before, and they will work. But, having some extra Nova screws is easier.

Greg Just
01-06-2013, 8:56 AM
My local Ace Hardware store has these bins of specialty screws in the back of the store and they work just fine. I keep a few extras on hand because when you drop them in the shavings on the floor, they are real hard to find - even with a magnet.

Anthony Diodati
01-06-2013, 9:08 AM
OK then Thanks.
Anyone ever get a little bit longer ones if you get them at a hardware?
Looks like to me only about 1/8" drops down below the jaw, and the slider jaw looks to be threaded a good 1/4".

Anthony Diodati
01-06-2013, 9:10 AM
Do you find the fit OK on there own, or are you also grinding the heads a little bit?
Do you get them a bit longer?

My local Ace Hardware store has these bins of specialty screws in the back of the store and they work just fine. I keep a few extras on hand because when you drop them in the shavings on the floor, they are real hard to find - even with a magnet.

Greg Just
01-06-2013, 9:58 AM
Do you find the fit OK on there own, or are you also grinding the heads a little bit?
Do you get them a bit longer?

The screws are pretty close. The head was slightly bigger but didn't cause any problems. I have looked at other stores and their screws were too big. I would recommend that you take one of the Nova screws with you for comparison.

Michael Mills
01-06-2013, 1:57 PM
I would check on the quality of the hardware store screws also. I believe the real chuck screws are 10.9 or 12.9. You don't want a chuck screw snapping.