PDA

View Full Version : 16" Band Saws

Rich Riddle
01-05-2013, 5:09 PM
I am moving tools around the shop and selling off ones no longer needed or duplicating other tools. Need to make room for a 16" with greater capacity for resawing. Hammer just sent an e-mail indicating they will be attending some shows and will have one of theirs at the show. Any thoughts on how the Hammer compares to other saws of decent quality? Any idea what the selling price for their saws are? It seems they have removed prices from their website. Thanks.

Stephen Cherry
01-05-2013, 5:12 PM
charleston.craigslist.org/tls/3504962817.html

Rich Riddle
01-05-2013, 5:22 PM
Well other than it's larger than my garage and takes three phase, it's perfect. That's sure one monster of a saw.

Stephen Cherry
01-05-2013, 5:28 PM
Well other than it's larger than my garage and takes three phase, it's perfect. That's sure one monster of a saw.

The footprint really is not that enormous, the height may or may not be an issue. If you are getting a bandsaw to resaw, why not get a good one. I don't know about this particular machine, but bridgewood did import italian machines. The bridgewood pbs-44o and pbs-540 were italian, and this one looks like it is, also.

As for three phase, it is convertable with a vfd, and in my opinion would be a super setup. the 440 and 540 do come up occasionally also, for about 1000 bucks. I think they are about the best deal out for a bandsaw.

Rich Riddle
01-05-2013, 5:45 PM
I am governed by a flat roof (I know, I know) on the garage. Just a tad over eight feet is all there is available. Not to count the support I-beam that runs across it and cuts down the height to a bit under 7 feet. You are likely right about how great a saw this one is. It's a bit of a drive but would be worth it.

Erik Loza
01-05-2013, 6:46 PM

That saw was manufactured by ACM of Italy.

Erik Loza

Stephen Cherry
01-05-2013, 7:04 PM
That saw was manufactured by ACM of Italy.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

It's purdy.

Rich Riddle
01-05-2013, 7:05 PM
Does anyone have an idea of the price for a new Hammer 16"? I heard the Minimax 16" is best but costs between three and four thousand delivered. There is a Laguna 16" HD a couple hundred miles from here, but for $1900 plus the drive, it might not be much of a deal.

mreza Salav
01-05-2013, 7:34 PM
That 28" saw is a lot more saw than the Laguna one, IMO. I was looking for a 16" one myself (MM or Laguna) and ended up with an excellent deal on a 24" one with 3PH and I jumped on it. Running it using a VFD is fairly easy.

Rich Riddle
01-05-2013, 7:36 PM
That 28" saw is a lot more saw than the Laguna one, IMO. I was looking for a 16" one myself (MM or Laguna) and ended up with an excellent deal on a 24" one with 3PH and I jumped on it. Running it using a VFD is fairly easy.
Does your 24" bandsaw come in under seven feet tall and a small footprint? I am governed by shop size.

mreza Salav
01-05-2013, 8:02 PM
It is 100cm x 79cm x 200cm; so yes it is just under 7feet but with the wheels installed it is just about 7 feet.

Carroll Courtney
01-05-2013, 8:15 PM
If you were closer,I would be all over your 141.I just don't think that durning this time there is another bandsaw that compares to the 141----Carroll

Rich Riddle
01-05-2013, 8:56 PM
If you were closer,I would be all over your 141.I just don't think that durning this time there is another bandsaw that compares to the 141----Carroll
My 143 compares to it. I rebuilt it last year and you can see it here:

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116097&p=781374&hilit=first+powermatic+restore#p781374

I am now totally dismantling the Powermatic 141 to rebuild it like the Powermatic 143. It will be a green variety color though for the sake of the age of the saw. Nonetheless, it will be rebuilt to factory original specifications and then sold.

Carroll Courtney
01-05-2013, 9:53 PM
That is fantastic,looking at your 143 the 141 will be a work horse and a show piece.Nice job---Carroll

Erik Loza
01-05-2013, 10:28 PM
It's purdy.

Ya, ACM saws are very nicely built. The most prolific of the Italian saws, in that they are sold by so many different dealers under various brands.

Does anyone have an idea of the price for a new Hammer 16"? I heard the Minimax 16" is best but costs between three and four thousand delivered. There is a Laguna 16" HD a couple hundred miles from here, but for $1900 plus the drive, it might not be much of a deal.

Mreza has a very valid point. I have been selling bandsaws for almost ten years and will tell you that never once have I had a customer complain about having "too much" machine. On the other hand, lost track of the number of times I have heard, "Gee, if I had it to do over again".

Erik Loza

Bruce Page
01-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Folks, active Craigslist links are not allowed in our general forums. They are allowed in the Deals & Discounts forum only.

Thanks

howard s hanger
01-05-2013, 10:56 PM
I have been out to your site on occasion and wonder why you don't post your list prices? Why don't you want to discuss them? Hammer, Laguna and others have no issue with posting theirs. No biggie, just curious.

Erik Loza
01-05-2013, 11:52 PM
I have been out to your site on occasion and wonder why you don't post your list prices? Why don't you want to discuss them? Hammer, Laguna and others have no issue with posting theirs. No biggie, just curious.

No secrets. Our site serves Canada and Mexico as well as the US and we all three use different pricing structures. To avoid confusing or misleading folks, we don't list prices on the site.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

David Kumm
01-06-2013, 12:20 AM
If you are looking for resaw capability and are height challenged the older lower height machines from before the "resaw wars" are your best bet. The Hammer 4400 is a nice machine for the price point but is not a true resaw and for the price there are other used options. The Bridgewood ACM 540 and 640, SCM 640, and newer MM 20 and 24 when they had 12-14" resaw height are the pick of the litter. The new MM are the best of the steel resaw machines but are taller than they used to be. Then 28" is shorter than the 24" and would be my choice for the perfect size in a steel saw. The old cast iron 30" machines will fit under an 8' ceiling as well and are my favorites. Dave

Jim Matthews
01-06-2013, 8:05 AM
Out of curiousity, do either of your 14" saws have a riser block installed?

The MM16 has a maximum clearance of 16".
In practice, it makes sense to leave some clearance below the guides.

14" resaw height is substantial - are you trying to get wider panels than that?

Rich Riddle
01-06-2013, 9:37 AM
Out of curiousity, do either of your 14" saws have a riser block installed?

The MM16 has a maximum clearance of 16".
In practice, it makes sense to leave some clearance below the guides.

14" resaw height is substantial - are you trying to get wider panels than that?
One cannot install riser blocks on an old Powermatic unit. Perhaps a picture of one of them will suffice to let you understand. Sixteen inches would more than suffice.250303250304250305

Rod Sheridan
01-06-2013, 10:38 AM
I am moving tools around the shop and selling off ones no longer needed or duplicating other tools. I have two Powermatic 14" band saws and will soon sell the 141 model to make room for a 16" with greater capacity for resawing. Hammer just sent an e-mail indicating they will be attending some shows and will have one of theirs at the show. Any thoughts on how the Hammer compares to other saws of decent quality? Any idea what the selling price for their saws are? It seems they have removed prices from their website. Thanks.

The Hammer N4400 would be at the top of my list for value in that size of saw.

It looks like it's $1,995 on the Christmas flyer, Felder haven't removed the prices, however you have to log in to see them.

Here's a link to part 1 of the N4400 video...........Rod.

http://www.hammerusa.com/us-us/video/hammer-n4400.html

Rich Riddle
01-06-2013, 11:24 AM
The Hammer N4400 would be at the top of my list for value in that size of saw.

It looks like it's $1,995 on the Christmas flyer, Felder haven't removed the prices, however you have to log in to see them.

Here's a link to part 1 of the N4400 video...........Rod.

http://www.hammerusa.com/us-us/video/hammer-n4400.html

Rod,

Thanks for the input. I am hoping at the show they will be offering the same prices as Christmas. The MM16 (latest model) found on Craigslist a couple hundred miles from here wants 2K for his saw. I will have to write him, but he claims it's about four or five years old. It would end up costing me about $2300 (gas, travel expenses, etc.) at the price to bring it home. Seems a bit steep.

David Kumm
01-06-2013, 11:30 AM
If the MM 16 is the latest model you should consider it. The new MM16 is the only small true resaw out there. As great as the 4400 is for its price it is an occasional resaw and excels with smaller blades. It would be my choice for a second saw but not as a primary resaw. Compare the weight. Tells a lot about frame strength which is the biggest deal when using wide blades- particularly carbide which require high tension. Dave

Ken Fitzgerald
01-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Rich......My MM-16 is about the same age as the one you describe.......4.8 HP.......I paid a few dollars over $3,000 for mine which included shipping. My two sons will fight over it after my demise.

Keith Outten
01-06-2013, 11:59 AM
There is a Hammer N4400 for sale in our Classifieds Forum.

Rich Riddle
01-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Rich......My MM-16 is about the same age as the one you describe.......4.8 HP.......I paid a few dollars over $3,000 for mine which included shipping. My two sons will fight over it after my demise.
Ken, at least they aren't causing your demise to fight over it like the Menendez brothers.

Rich Riddle
01-06-2013, 12:03 PM
There is a Hammer N4400 for sale in our Classifieds Forum.
Thank you sir.

Jim Matthews
01-07-2013, 6:58 AM
Gotcha. I was unclear on the construction of your current saws.

Rich Riddle
01-07-2013, 8:11 AM
Gotcha. I was unclear on the construction of your current saws.

That's ok. I did have a local builder offer $100 for the Powermatic 143 bandsaw in the picture after it was rebuilt. According to him, it wasn't even "worth hauling" before it was rebuilt and he was "more than generous" by offering me a whopping "$100 CASH, a hundred dollar bill."

Erik Loza
01-07-2013, 8:51 AM
That's ok. I did have a local builder offer $100 for the Powermatic 143 bandsaw in the picture after it was rebuilt. According to him, it wasn't even "worth hauling" before it was rebuilt and he was "more than generous" by offering me a whopping "$100 CASH, a hundred dollar bill."

Rich, are you interested in just hanging onto that saw? I talk to folks all the time who have told me that they regret getting rid of their small BS after they get the larger one. For example, my colleague Sam B. has THREE BS's in his shop (one the size of yours, plus two MM24's....). Even though yes, you can configure most larger saws to do small things, it is sometimes just just a lot easier to keep a 1/4" blade on the small saw and leave the bigger one set up for ripping, resawing, or whatever.

Just some food for thought.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

David Kumm
01-07-2013, 9:03 AM
+1 to what Erik said. A second small saw with a 1/4 bimetal blade is well worth the space if you have it. Dave

Gus Dundon
01-07-2013, 10:34 AM
I always hear good reviews with Hammer N4400 . As I can see it , the style is so modern.

Gus

Rich Riddle
01-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Rich, are you interested in just hanging onto that saw? I talk to folks all the time who have told me that they regret getting rid of their small BS after they get the larger one. For example, my colleague Sam B. has THREE BS's in his shop (one the size of yours, plus two MM24's....). Even though yes, you can configure most larger saws to do small things, it is sometimes just just a lot easier to keep a 1/4" blade on the small saw and leave the bigger one set up for ripping, resawing, or whatever. Just some food for thought.

Erik,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

I am keeping the Powermatic 143 without a doubt. The contractor was working on a neighbor's house and saw the 1965 Mustang and bandsaw and came to look. He offered me $1000 for the Mustang and said the offer only lasted until he walked off the driveway. I told him to run and never return. I will be selling my spare Powermatic 141 though. It's only a wood bandsaw.

Erik Loza
01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
I am keeping the Powermatic 143 without a doubt. The contractor was working on a neighbor's house and saw the 1965 Mustang and bandsaw and came to look. He offered me $1000 for the Mustang and said the offer only lasted until he walked off the driveway. I told him to run and never return. I will be selling my spare Powermatic 141 though. It's only a wood bandsaw.

"$1,000"... LOL.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA