PDA

View Full Version : Irwin clamps at Home Depot

Bobby O'Neal
01-05-2013, 4:04 PM
Was at my local HD and noticed that there were no more Jorgensen clamps. Everything there was Irwin, parallel, F style, corner clamps, band clamps, quick clamps, the whole lot. Not sure when this change happened or how good the clamps are (and honestly, the prices weren't such to make me want to try them) but I thought it was interesting.

Julian Tracy
01-05-2013, 4:56 PM
All the Jorgies were USA made. Certainly not the case with any new Irwin additions. Probably no savings at all compared to the Jorgies, but a big jump in quality to be sure.

JT

Sam Murdoch
01-05-2013, 5:29 PM
All the Jorgies were USA made. Certainly not the case with any new Irwin additions. Probably no savings at all compared to the Jorgies, but a big jump in quality to be sure.

JT

Boy if that's true I'm really out of touch with new clamps.

Rich Riddle
01-05-2013, 5:47 PM
The local Home Depot in Northern Kentucky has only had Irwin for some time.

Rich Riddle
01-05-2013, 5:48 PM
Boy if that's true I'm really out of touch with new clamps.
Sam, I think he meant a downward jump.

Phil Thien
01-05-2013, 8:59 PM
I believe some of the Jorgies are now made with at least some foreign components. There was a recent thread indicating Lee Valley was stopping carrying the Jorgies, and I think that was the reason. And there is a thread over at Woodnet talking about what is going on with Jorgensen.

Nonetheless, if a retailer like Home Depot is going to switch from a western-made product to a Chinese-sourced alternative, I expect a corresponding decrease in price. If prices stay the more or less the same (and IMHO they have), then I sort of feel like I'm getting ripped off.

Steve Colvin
01-05-2013, 11:18 PM
I was at my neighborhood HD yesterday, and they had a good stock of various Jorgensen clamps.

Joe Angrisani
01-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Both my local Littleton, CO, Home Depots have restocked the Jorgensen parallel clamps after I cleaned them both out of 24"ers with a Menards flyer last month, so they're obviously still available in the HD supply chain. Must come down to what individual stores want to carry.

Steve Rost
01-07-2013, 2:01 PM
I have worked for HD for 13 years. I have a dozen or so Irwin quick clamps for about that long. I think they are too expensive, only buy them when the go on sale usually around holidays (black friday thru Christmas).. Some parts of the country will have Jorgies. Check on line for other stores around you.

Michael Moscicki
04-19-2013, 11:23 PM
Didn't feel like starting a new thread(Yes it's 3-4 months old). Picked up what appeared to be the last two 3724-HD Jorgensen clamps at one of my Home Depots for $12.97 a piece(same price as the Irwin's). Woodcraft has them for $17.99 and Amazon for $20.49. No wonder the profit margin wasn't there when you sell them for $5 cheaper than Woodcraft.

Another example:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Irwin-48-In-Cabinet-Bar-Clamp-2026501/202251798?N=c266Zsm#.UXIH3bWG3ng (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Irwin-48-In-Cabinet-Bar-Clamp-2026501/202251798?N=c266Zsm#.UXIH3bWG3ng) - Irwin 48 In. Cabinet Bar Clamp - $44.97
http://www.homedepot.com/p/100154253?N=c266 (http://www.homedepot.com/p/100154253?N=c266) Jorgensen 48 in. Cabinet Master Bar Clamp - $44.97

What I don't get is, how the US made Jorgensen's are the same price as the Chinese Irwins?

Myk Rian
04-20-2013, 9:49 AM
Was at my local HD and noticed that there were no more Jorgensen clamps. Everything there was Irwin, parallel, F style, corner clamps, band clamps, quick clamps, the whole lot. Not sure when this change happened or how good the clamps are (and honestly, the prices weren't such to make me want to try them) but I thought it was interesting.
I wrote HD and told them I was pissed about their Chinese clamps. I did get one or two e-mails back trying to say it was only in certain stores.
I wrote back saying that was BS.
That's the last I've heard from them.

It's going to take a lot of people complaining about it to have any affect. So, start e-mailing them, people.

scott vroom
04-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Interesting at the emotional responses to HD clamps. Writing letters complaining about HD's offerings may make one feel better but it's like p_____g in the wind. If you don't like their offering, clamps are readily available elsewhere.

I purchase most of my clamps on-line. Generally cheaper and delivery is quick nowadays from any point in the country. If I purchase through Amazon, my prime acct guarantees free 2-day shipping.

Not sure which Jorgensen's you're referring to but I purchased several Jorgensen 3724 clamps long ago at HD and found them to be a major PITA...they constantly spun/slipped off the workpiece when tightened. I got tired of fighting them and now have a large collection of pony clamps for my casework.

Jerry Lawrence
04-21-2013, 12:54 PM
My HD has switched to Irwin clamps only. I thought they were a bit pricey so don't own any, therefore I don't know how reliable they are and can't comment on that.
However, I have to agree with Scott, at least partially. I think writing letters to let HD know why you will no longer be purchasing items from them may help them to make a change in what they carry. But, Scott is right that all the letters in the world won't amount to a hill of beans (yes, I said 'hill of beans') if they are not backed up by (or more effectively, preceeded by) action. Nothing will make any business change its ways faster than a change in their bottom line. First, vote with your dollars, then write your letters and tell them why. Just my .02.