PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the hinge and bearings in 14" Jet Bandsaw.

lowell holmes
01-05-2013, 12:08 PM
The bearing part number in the documentation is BB-6202-ZZ.
I found bearings at several sites with that number priced from $1.49 to $19.00.
Apparently these are common bearings in the marketplace.
Some of the more expensive bearings are ceramic.

I have the sliding bracket assembly which includes the hinge.

I am not going to buy 1.49 bearing.

Are all BB-6202-ZZ bearings the same dimensions. They seem to be 35mm od X 15mm id, x 11mm wide.

Any words of wisdom will be greatl appreciated. I'm sure I am not the first to deal with this.

Dick Mahany
01-05-2013, 1:06 PM
The bearing part number in the documentation is BB-6202-ZZ.

Are all BB-6202-ZZ bearings the same dimensions. They seem to be 35mm od X 15mm id, x 11mm wide.

Any words of wisdom will be greatl appreciated. I'm sure I am not the first to deal with this.

The 6202 is the ISO designation for bearing series (single row, deep groove radial ball in this case) and size, and ZZ means double shielded (non removable metal shields). So if you go to a local bearing shop, there is a good likelihood that they will be a stock item and not expensive. I recently rebuilt a Delta bandsaw and switched from ZZ (Shielded) to "2RS" bearings as the rubber seals are better than the metal shields for fine saw dust. So all 6202 bearings will be the same size with options available for shielding / sealing.

In my case the upper wheel bearings, lower wheel bearings and thrust bearings were common items and in stock. Pretty sure Jet is a similar case. Hope this helps.

lowell holmes
01-05-2013, 4:01 PM
Dick,

You gave me the info I was seeking. Thanks for responding.

Rich Riddle
01-05-2013, 7:20 PM
Whatever you do, do NOT purchase these parts from Jet. As you said you can get them elsewhere inexpensively. Jet won't provide you the same opportunity.

Bruce Wrenn
01-05-2013, 8:27 PM
Bearing quality is usually tied to price, but what level of quality do you need. This is a low speed / low stress application, so even the cheap ones will work. Usually on woodworking tools and bandsaws in particular, the fine dust is what kills the bearings, so go a step up and get the sealed ones. Fastenal has most common bearings in stock, FYI. To understand how a bearing is made, go over to thebigbearingstore.com. It will make you wonder why bearings can be had so cheap.

Dick Mahany
01-05-2013, 8:57 PM
Whatever you do, do NOT purchase these parts from Jet. As you said you can get them elsewhere inexpensively. Jet won't provide you the same opportunity.

Agree, but not just Jet,........ for any OEM manufacturer of WW tools in general. Tool Manufacturers make tools, not bearings, and bearings are a sepcialized commodity so it makes sense to buy bearings from bearing distributors since that's their business model and must be competitive. The WW tool OEMs just have to cover their margin objectives and carry stock that is costly to them.

Rich Riddle
01-05-2013, 9:10 PM
Agree, but not just Jet,........ for any OEM manufacturer of WW tools in general. Tool Manufacturers make tools, not bearings, and bearings are a sepcialized commodity so it makes sense to buy bearings from bearing distributors since that's their business model and must be competitive. The WW tool OEMs just have to cover their margin objectives and carry stock that is costly to them.There is a local woodworker who wouldn't order bearings through a bearing company. He ordered directly from a woodworking manufacturer and found that the bearings they sent were drop shipped from bearingsdirect.com. He was furious when he found out they charged him more than eight or ten times the cost he could have paid straight to the bearing company. (Each time he tells the story his percentage gets higher)

Curt Harms
01-06-2013, 9:04 AM
There is a local woodworker who wouldn't order bearings through a bearing company. He ordered directly from a woodworking manufacturer and found that the bearings they sent were drop shipped from bearingsdirect.com. He was furious when he found out they charged him more than eight or ten times the cost he could have paid straight to the bearing company. (Each time he tells the story his percentage gets higher)

"Too soon old too late smart" comes to mind in that case.

lowell holmes
01-06-2013, 9:35 AM
That's why I posted the question. The price for the bearings from a website I've used before wanted $19 a piece for the bearings I ordered for about $3 apiece.

I know nothing about bearings, but the collective knowledge of this forum is impressive.

I appreciate the input.

Rod Sheridan
01-06-2013, 10:42 AM
You can indeed purchase different quality of bearings, at different prices.

The power transmission company I deal with supplies several levels of precision and quality depending upon the application.

As has been posted, the 2RS suffix for seals will be more effective than the metal shielded version........Rod.

Gus Dundon
01-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Aftermarket parts are cheaper.