PDA

View Full Version : Jet JJP-12HH Planer Snip

Dominic Carpenter
01-05-2013, 8:21 AM
Those of you who own Jet's 12" JP COMBO with the helical cutter head. Could you tell me how well the machine controls snip while planning. Thanks

John Coloccia
01-05-2013, 8:31 AM
FWIW, I have the JJP12 with the straight head (though same should apply) and my snipe is exactly zero when I use proper infeed and outfeed techniques. You need to keep slight upward pressure on the board when starting the feed and when removing it. If you do that, you will get no snipe on most planers. Maybe the planer on mine is just exceptionally good (I much doubt that!) but I use other planers too and I don't ever have any snipe problems with the right technique.

Bobby O'Neal
01-05-2013, 8:58 AM
FWIW, I have the JJP12 with the straight head (though same should apply) and my snipe is exactly zero when I use proper infeed and outfeed techniques. You need to keep slight upward pressure on the board when starting the feed and when removing it. If you do that, you will get no snipe on most planers. Maybe the planer on mine is just exceptionally good (I much doubt that!) but I use other planers too and I don't ever have any snipe problems with the right technique.

+1 agreement.

Dick Mahany
01-05-2013, 9:50 AM
Fully agree with the advise offered so far. I have the straight knife version, but snipe is mostly non existent.